• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dating a Vintage Reissue strat.

PierceLP

Hey all!!! I have had this burning question regarding my strat.. and of all the research ive done i cannot figure out the specific year that my strat is based on lol. I need some "strat eyes" to help.

What i do know is that it was made in 1997. The believe the color is Inca Silver? And the neck is too thin to be a 59,60, or 65 (ive played these years at Hollywood GC vintage room)
So what i guess ive narrowed it down to is either a 61 or 62 reissue?! I dont know what specific years Fender has reissued over the years.

Heres some pics.
I believe its a slab board..

Thanks for the help guys :)

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
They really made two basic reissues. '57 had maple board and one-ply guard. '62 had rosewood and three-ply guard.

Unless your guitar is a special custom model, it's a '62 reissue.

There no feature differences from 1958/59 until mid '62 when the boards went to round lam. Neck thicknesses are all over the place for Fenders and they tend to be pretty thin in in that 60-62 period.

The '57 reissues got a thicker neck near the nut and many have a very nice "V" shape.

RnB

Fender 57 & 62 RI's were first produced in 1982 in Fullerton Ca. After a couple years ('85), RI's were then made at the Corona facility & continue to be made there to this day. Early on, both came w/ slim tapered necks. Not sure when they began using V-necks for 57 RI's? Beveled pole pieces found after 1998...

More Info:
Fender RI Shop

Did you try & call Fender? They do keep records of what was made. I have a '91 CS 57 RI & when I called them they knew nothing. But...it's worth a try. I also had a '62 RI. IIRC, it was a '96 model? I ended-up selling it on consignment. Nice guitar, but it was a bit too heavy for me...

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
With that white guard I'd say yours is a regular '62 reissue in inca silver.

The hand made "Cunetto's" and such got more specialized model years and were usually relic finished and have green guards.

PierceLP

Wow that is all such awesome info thank you so much! Yeah the neck is one of the thinnest strat necks ive played.. if any of you have played the Signature Gilmour Strat its a tad thinner than that even.

I havent called Fender yet but ive been meaning to as a matter of fact lol. Would love to know more about the guitar if possible (especially coming from the company that made it)

Thank you all for the help! Its answered questions ive had for yeara haha

buckaroo

Formerly Tweedguy
Fender 57 & 62 RI's were first produced in 1982 in Fullerton Ca. After a couple years ('85), RI's were then made at the Corona facility & continue to be made there to this day. Early on, both came w/ slim tapered necks. Not sure when they began using V-necks for 57 RI's? Beveled pole pieces found after 1998...

I generally agree with this. As I recall, in the late 90's they advertised that some of the vintage reissue contours / curves / shapes were updated to be more vintage correct. Those changes occurred around the same time as the pole pieces became beveled. That may be when the 12 fret dot spacing was made farther apart as well. This is all based on recollection. Take it with a grain of salt.