• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

9 1259

Dishimyuh

Huh....not seeing those. :hmm

Edit: OK, found them.

http://s729.photobucket.com/user/rjvfender/library/1959%20les%20paul?sort=2&page=1

This is interesting.

DSC01812.jpg

DSC01615.jpg

That "faded" spot is certainly unusual.

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
It looks to be more of a repeated "rub" than it is a fade. The cracks are unusual as well. I can imagine they darkened over time as sweat accumulated in them.

CDaughtry

Fred Dons....how far do you go back remembering this burst?

ChevChelios

My bets are on a top refin, too. There is also little to no sign for less fading under the neck pickup ring.

Also, looks like some new solder on the neck volume pot.

Dishimyuh

It looks to be more of a repeated "rub" than it is a fade. The cracks are unusual as well. I can imagine they darkened over time as sweat accumulated in them.

CD, it doesn't look like a rub to me. The only reason that I described it as faded was due to the lack of pigment in that spot. If that area had been rubbed to the degree that it had worn through the finish then I would expect it to be dingy/dirty, and it doesn't appear to be that way. Also handling/rubbing sufficient to remove that much finish would certainly wear the wood as well, and I'm not seeing that in the photo.

oldsongs

If the top was sanded aggressively to refinish, that could make it more likely to crack. The dark part of the burst looks opaque.

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Before I comment on the guitar, and in view of the 'Real or Fake' thread in the Sunburst Pub, do the forum owners feel there is a a legitimate reason for analysing this guitar ? I don't want to get in trouble seeing as I'm on my final ban warning? :dang

Xpensive Wino

Before I comment on the guitar, and in view of the 'Real or Fake' thread in the Sunburst Pub, do the forum owners feel there is a a legitimate reason for analysing this guitar ? I don't want to get in trouble seeing as I'm on my final ban warning? :dang

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y0cF2piwjYQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fred dons

last time I had the guitar in my hand was over 10 years ago, I rember it to be a little more red then it is in the pictures (first time I saw it I thought it was a 60ties)
anyway it is not an "attic" find as the owner plays this one every weekend in coverband, and 10 years ago he had already some idea on the value of the guitar, when the guitar needed to be refretted my friend who did the fret work could not find proper insurance which meant the guitar had to be brought to the shop every morning and returned at the end of the day till the job was done. He did not not care about babying his guitars btw, he had it refretted twice in 3 weeks as he did not like the smaller frets the first time.
he has (or had at the time anyway) a big rolex on his right hand so perhaps that incurred some damage to the top ((o;
the history of the guitar can be traced back to 81 as he was quite often on national television playing it
voorbeeld%2019.JPG

1985%2520opname%2520ncrv.jpg

CDaughtry

At least in my mind, I don't think there's an issue of this guitar being a fake. Rather, there is some issue as to it's condition. Since the shop owner is aggressively marketing it, both on his website and in the Les Paul Society on Facebook, I think we have, as a Forum, a legitimate reason to discuss the condition of the guitar. Thus, your double secret probation is intact for the time being, but watch yourself buster.:spabout

If it's a refin, it's interesting that the color of the guitar appears the same in that video, that has to be at least 30 years old. Thoughts?

Fred...do you have any insight?

garywright

Charlie ...the old shots that I received of this guitar the finish appears the same color ...it had the pup covers removed and had a double black bridge and a zebra neck ...I actually found the b/w headstock pic as well as the far-away outside line up shot ...the more I got thinking about it last night I recalled having a close up front pic too ...so I'm on the search before I post all three pix ...anyway, if this guitar was/is a refin it was done before '74

fred dons

agree, if it was a refinish it must have been an old one, I remember when I first played it had that "old" smell and "feel" and knowing that the guy bought it relatively early and had it maintained by the same shop (which my friend bought) since the early 80ties nothing was done on the paint since

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
The seller doesn't think it's got a refinished top. He's sending me some more detailed pictures and if I like what I see and can negotiate a realistic selling price I'll pehaps go and look at it in person. I can do a trip there and back easily enough in less than a day. Maybe I'll see if Ray can come with me. Four eyes are better than two.:ganz

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
At least in my mind, I don't think there's an issue of this guitar being a fake. Rather, there is some issue as to it's condition. Since the shop owner is aggressively marketing it, both on his website and in the Les Paul Society on Facebook, I think we have, as a Forum, a legitimate reason to discuss the condition of the guitar. Thus, your double secret probation is intact for the time being, but watch yourself buster.:spabout

If it's a refin, it's interesting that the color of the guitar appears the same in that video, that has to be at least 30 years old. Thoughts?

Fred...do you have any insight?

Thanks Charlie. So guitars actively being 'marketed' as bursts are legitimate guitars for discussion? Just want to be clear not to break the conditions of my probation.

I'm thinking that if it is a top refin, maybe it's possible it was done at Gibson in the early 70's. Those rings appear to be M8 pickup rings from the 70's also. :ganz