• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

9 1259

fred dons

nice and simple, don't know the seller (do know the shop, but the guitar is on consignment)
http://www.rjvguitars.com/product/1618356/1959-gibson-les-paul-standard-original-burst-serial-9-1259
dsc01587.jpg

dsc01609.jpg

Hot_Snake

a bought this seller an AVR Jazzmaster a few years ago, good transaction !

fred dons

you are right it is, the serial number looked familiar, a friend of mine (marcus van engelen) did the refret (twice) and I played it at the time but that was 10 years ago

garywright

:wow ...I've known of that burst serial number existing since the early 70s ...at one time I had a pic of it being leaned against a house outside along with a dozen or more other vintage guitars ...I think that pic may be long gone ..however, I also had a rear close pic of the serial number and even at that point it had a tuner change ....I'll do some digging later and see if I can find that one..

fred dons

the owner bought it from the proceeds of his first number one album in the dutch charts in 1976, he had choice of 3 bursts and chose this one, paid the equivalent of us 5000
btw he made some truly horrible music with it but it got him a very nice vintage collection (which at least up to a few years ago he played with in local bars)

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Here's the seller's description(from his website):

Here is the holy grail and i am proud to offer it for sale, a newly discovered original Burst. Found it on the attic of a musician near Amsterdam last January. He owns the guitar since 1981 and now is ready to part with it and asked me to offer it to the world. It has the very nice serial# 9 1259, the only Burst i know of who has 59 in the serial#, how cool is that. It's a plaintop with still a nice Burst on it, only light fading into a brownish Burst. The original PAF's have an output of 7.3 ohms and sounds magical, not so high output and therefore a sweet, warm, mellow sound which also rocks when you want to, i love it, this is a true tonewonder. We compared it to other vintage beauties, but to me the legend is true, these 59's really have something special. The guitar was played ofcourse, so it has changed tuners into Grovers, 2 later date pots, later date pick-up rings and some other changed plastic parts, frets are also changed. Between the volume and toneknobs there are some hairline cracks in the wood, a light hairline crack is also present in the back cavity. The hardcase is a later date. So it has some wear and changed parts, but it's a newly discovered Burst which isn't in any registry yet and looks and sounds wonderfull.

CDaughtry

Here's some more pics from the dealer's website:

9%201259%281%29.jpg

9%201259%282%29.jpg

9%201259%283%29.jpg

9%201259%284%29.jpg

9%201259%285%29.jpg

9%201259%286%29.jpg

sws1

Other than the fact that this is in Europe, it's probably the easiest approachable '59 burst that doesn't have a broken neck. Cost a pretty penny to go find all the correct parts, if someone wanted to.

CDaughtry

Where do you realistically price this in today's market? It's a plaintop, with some whoop to it, that needs some fairly expensive plastic to complete it. Thoughts?:hank