• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

9 1259

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
agree, if it was a refinish it must have been an old one, I remember when I first played it had that "old" smell and "feel" and knowing that the guy bought it relatively early and had it maintained by the same shop (which my friend bought) since the early 80ties nothing was done on the paint since

Any idea what happened to the original pickup rings Fred?

Xpensive Wino

So guitars actively being 'marketed' as bursts are legitimate guitars for discussion? Just want to be clear not to break the conditions of my probation.

big-brother-is-watching-upupupu.jpg

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Thanks Charlie. So guitars actively being 'marketed' as bursts are legitimate guitars for discussion? Just want to be clear not to break the conditions of my probation.

Rich,

As long as you aren't pumping and dumping them, you ought to be fine.:jim

Reno_1ted

The seller doesn't think it's got a refinished top. He's sending me some more detailed pictures and if I like what I see and can negotiate a realistic selling price I'll pehaps go and look at it in person. I can do a trip there and back easily enough in less than a day. Maybe I'll see if Ray can come with me. Four eyes are better than two.:ganz

If you end up buying it, does that mean this thread will get taken down? :laugh2: :)

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
If you end up buying it, does that mean this thread will get taken down? :laugh2: :)

I doubt it. JC had his guitar featured as February's burst of the month while he was offering it for sale and that thread didn't get taken down.

MikeSlub

Administrator
I doubt it. JC had his guitar featured as February's burst of the month while he was offering it for sale and that thread didn't get taken down.

If we had known that we would have taken down the thread. Let us know if you see this happening. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. :hank

fred dons

Any idea what happened to the original pickup rings Fred?

no sorry, but an this is a bit of a funny story, the guy who owns it lives in a small village where basically the population consists of fishermen or musicians or both, they share about 10 surnames amongst themselves (they did not take to well towards strangers in the old days) and they like everything to be new and shiny.
I used to work in a guitarshop in that village and given a choice the customer always went for the most expensive guitar, not perhaps the best guitar, anyway when this guy left BZN ("the band without name" ) another guy took over as leadguitarist and the band bought his equipment. When he died some years ago the band decided to sell his gear however before doing so his guitars needed to be refurbished; all the hardware and electronics were thrown away, there were lucklily not pafs but t tops and other early seventies late hardware, everything was in working order but it did not look new anymore so it had to go
So my guess is that he just replaced them at one point and threw the old ones away.
The guy he bought it from was an active trader in bursts, as he had a choice of 3 bursts, that could have been Piets Visser who I know actively bought them out of Sweden at the time, but that is a guess from my side

CDaughtry

If someone really wants to work the system, they'll get away with it a time or two. If in fact that's what JC did, I'm very disappointed.

If your passive aggression is directed toward the fact that one of your threads got taken down, it's because you're a dealer and you were actively pumping and dumping on this Forum despite requests not to do so.:salude

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
If someone really wants to work the system, they'll get away with it a time or two. If in fact that's what JC did, I'm very disappointed.

If your passive aggression is directed toward the fact that one of your threads got taken down, it's because you're a dealer and you were actively pumping and dumping on this Forum despite requests not to do so.:salude

Charlie I have no problem at all with my threads being taken down and I completely understand why the decision was made to do so.

I posted the Dutch Burst thread because I thought it would be cool to share the latest photos and details of my trip to Holland with the forum. I was careful to not mention that the owner had asked me to help him find a buyer for the guitar and it is being advertised by the owner on his website.

The '58 Junior I originally bought for myself. I only decided to sell it a few days later. Such is my dilemma being an enthusiast and a dealer always chasing something else. I don't mind my threads being taken down but it was a shame to lose the Dutch burst content but it's not an issue.

In regards to the other matter, JC asked me to help him find a buyer for his burst during the February burst of the month thread was running and I believe he offered it to others and I'm surprised you weren't aware of this. So is that thread going to get taken down now or is it ok for members who aren't dealers to pump and dump? I'm not being passive aggressive, I just want to be clear.

CDaughtry

So is that thread going to get taken down now or is it ok for members who aren't dealers to pump and dump? I'm not being passive aggressive, I just want to be clear.

Not much point in taking it down now if the "dump" has already happened. Your two were taken down, because you had not yet, to our knowledge, dumped them. Furthermore, you are a dealer which complicates the matter even further. Simultaneously talking about how much you love the 59 Jr., while trying to sell it on Instagram, took the P & D art form to a whole 'nother level.
I hope this clarifies the matter for you, as I wouldn't want you unnecessarily worrying about JC's Burst of the Month thread any longer.:jim

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Simultaneously talking about how much you love the 59 Jr., while trying to sell it on Instagram, took the P & D art form to a whole 'nother level.

For the record and the sake of accuracy, it's a 58, not a 59 and it wasn't advertised for sale on instagram. I post LOTS of guitars on instagram. But really, it's not an issue.

garywright

pix from '74 ...sportin speed knobs ...pearl grover tips ...naked pups.

interesting that the headstock wear appears the same today as in '74 with no additional chips, etc.