LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9 1259

Les Paul Forum Member

9 1259

nice and simple, don't know the seller (do know the shop, but the guitar is on consignment)
    http://www.rjvguitars.com/product/16...-serial-9-1259

Les Paul Forum Member Hot_Snake's Avatar

Re: 9 1259

a bought this seller an AVR Jazzmaster a few years ago, good transaction !

I'm pretty sure that's the BZN burst.

Les Paul Forum Member

you are right it is, the serial number looked familiar, a friend of mine (marcus van engelen) did the refret (twice) and I played it at the time but that was 10 years ago

...I've known of that burst serial number existing since the early 70s ...at one time I had a pic of it being leaned against a house outside along with a dozen or more other vintage guitars ...I think that pic may be long gone ..however, I also had a rear close pic of the serial number and even at that point it had a tuner change ....I'll do some digging later and see if I can find that one..

That's a great looking burst. Thanks for sharing.

Les Paul Forum Member

the owner bought it from the proceeds of his first number one album in the dutch charts in 1976, he had choice of 3 bursts and chose this one, paid the equivalent of us 5000
    btw he made some truly horrible music with it but it got him a very nice vintage collection (which at least up to a few years ago he played with in local bars)

Les Paul Forum Member 58dutchie's Avatar

Dutchburst nr.2...

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 58dutchie View Post
    Dutchburst nr.2...
    Nee, meneer. De gitaar zonder naam.

Les Paul Forum Member

indeed, and if we include Eelco's it would be DB 3 ;))

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Here's the seller's description(from his website):

Here is the holy grail and i am proud to offer it for sale, a newly discovered original Burst. Found it on the attic of a musician near Amsterdam last January. He owns the guitar since 1981 and now is ready to part with it and asked me to offer it to the world. It has the very nice serial# 9 1259, the only Burst i know of who has 59 in the serial#, how cool is that. It's a plaintop with still a nice Burst on it, only light fading into a brownish Burst. The original PAF's have an output of 7.3 ohms and sounds magical, not so high output and therefore a sweet, warm, mellow sound which also rocks when you want to, i love it, this is a true tonewonder. We compared it to other vintage beauties, but to me the legend is true, these 59's really have something special. The guitar was played ofcourse, so it has changed tuners into Grovers, 2 later date pots, later date pick-up rings and some other changed plastic parts, frets are also changed. Between the volume and toneknobs there are some hairline cracks in the wood, a light hairline crack is also present in the back cavity. The hardcase is a later date. So it has some wear and changed parts, but it's a newly discovered Burst which isn't in any registry yet and looks and sounds wonderfull.

Here's some more pics from the dealer's website:

Other than the fact that this is in Europe, it's probably the easiest approachable '59 burst that doesn't have a broken neck. Cost a pretty penny to go find all the correct parts, if someone wanted to.

That's a beauty, thanks for sharing Fred

Guitars:
    2015 Gibson True Historic 1960 Les Paul Reissue
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul Reissue
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop Rich Robinson '63 ES 335
    2015 Gretsch Custom Shop Stephen Stern White Penguin
    2015 Fender Custom Shop 1958 Stratocaster Reissue
    2006 Fender Custom Shop 1951 Nocaster Reissue
    2017 Fender 1961 Jazz Bass Reissue

Amp:
    Magnatone Twilighter

Very cool looking guitar, love the colour!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    Here's some more pics from the dealer's website:

I would love to see the routs on this one...
    Enjoy that with my compliments. 🤠👍

Banker

Quote Originally Posted by abalonevintage View Post
    I would love to see the routs on this one...
    There's photos on the dealer's website.

Les Paul Forum Member

Last edited by abalonevintage; 07-03-18 at 04:52 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Huh....not seeing those.
    Here you go Eric:

http://s729.photobucket.com/user/rjvfender/library/1959%20les%20paul?sort=2&page=1
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Where do you realistically price this in today's market? It's a plaintop, with some whoop to it, that needs some fairly expensive plastic to complete it. Thoughts?

Les Paul Forum Member

Too many unknowns to even try.

Huh....not seeing those.

Edit: OK, found them.

http://s729.photobucket.com/user/rjv...?sort=2&page=1

This is interesting.

That "faded" spot is certainly unusual.

It looks to be more of a repeated "rub" than it is a fade. The cracks are unusual as well. I can imagine they darkened over time as sweat accumulated in them.

Fred Dons....how far do you go back remembering this burst?

Les Paul Forum Member

Last edited by abalonevintage; 07-03-18 at 04:52 AM.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

It's not so much that the cracks are unusual, it's that they "look" unusual.

That top looks refinished to me.
    It does look questionable in these photos.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member ChevChelios's Avatar

My bets are on a top refin, too. There is also little to no sign for less fading under the neck pickup ring.

Also, looks like some new solder on the neck volume pot.

It looks to be more of a repeated "rub" than it is a fade. The cracks are unusual as well. I can imagine they darkened over time as sweat accumulated in them.
    CD, it doesn't look like a rub to me. The only reason that I described it as faded was due to the lack of pigment in that spot. If that area had been rubbed to the degree that it had worn through the finish then I would expect it to be dingy/dirty, and it doesn't appear to be that way. Also handling/rubbing sufficient to remove that much finish would certainly wear the wood as well, and I'm not seeing that in the photo.

If the top was sanded aggressively to refinish, that could make it more likely to crack. The dark part of the burst looks opaque.

but is it authentic?....

I'm asking this to try to make someone laugh.

"...this thing is a destroyer of planets, a tonal doom-bringer, a wooden warrior from another dimension." Frutiger

Before I comment on the guitar, and in view of the 'Real or Fake' thread in the Sunburst Pub, do the forum owners feel there is a a legitimate reason for analysing this guitar ? I don't want to get in trouble seeing as I'm on my final ban warning?

Quote Originally Posted by montesada View Post
    but is it authentic?....
    Its more authentic than some that have been authenticated.

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by landminelenny View Post
    Before I comment on the guitar, and in view of the 'Real or Fake' thread in the Sunburst Pub, do the forum owners feel there is a a legitimate reason for analysing this guitar ? I don't want to get in trouble seeing as I'm on my final ban warning?

Les Paul Forum Member

last time I had the guitar in my hand was over 10 years ago, I rember it to be a little more red then it is in the pictures (first time I saw it I thought it was a 60ties)
    anyway it is not an "attic" find as the owner plays this one every weekend in coverband, and 10 years ago he had already some idea on the value of the guitar, when the guitar needed to be refretted my friend who did the fret work could not find proper insurance which meant the guitar had to be brought to the shop every morning and returned at the end of the day till the job was done. He did not not care about babying his guitars btw, he had it refretted twice in 3 weeks as he did not like the smaller frets the first time.
    he has (or had at the time anyway) a big rolex on his right hand so perhaps that incurred some damage to the top ((o;
    the history of the guitar can be traced back to 81 as he was quite often on national television playing it

Thanks a lot for the background, Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by landminelenny View Post

At least in my mind, I don't think there's an issue of this guitar being a fake. Rather, there is some issue as to it's condition. Since the shop owner is aggressively marketing it, both on his website and in the Les Paul Society on Facebook, I think we have, as a Forum, a legitimate reason to discuss the condition of the guitar. Thus, your double secret probation is intact for the time being, but watch yourself buster.

If it's a refin, it's interesting that the color of the guitar appears the same in that video, that has to be at least 30 years old. Thoughts?

Fred...do you have any insight?

Charlie ...the old shots that I received of this guitar the finish appears the same color ...it had the pup covers removed and had a double black bridge and a zebra neck ...I actually found the b/w headstock pic as well as the far-away outside line up shot ...the more I got thinking about it last night I recalled having a close up front pic too ...so I'm on the search before I post all three pix ...anyway, if this guitar was/is a refin it was done before '74

Les Paul Forum Member

agree, if it was a refinish it must have been an old one, I remember when I first played it had that "old" smell and "feel" and knowing that the guy bought it relatively early and had it maintained by the same shop (which my friend bought) since the early 80ties nothing was done on the paint since

The seller doesn't think it's got a refinished top. He's sending me some more detailed pictures and if I like what I see and can negotiate a realistic selling price I'll pehaps go and look at it in person. I can do a trip there and back easily enough in less than a day. Maybe I'll see if Ray can come with me. Four eyes are better than two.

At least in my mind, I don't think there's an issue of this guitar being a fake. Rather, there is some issue as to it's condition. Since the shop owner is aggressively marketing it, both on his website and in the Les Paul Society on Facebook, I think we have, as a Forum, a legitimate reason to discuss the condition of the guitar. Thus, your double secret probation is intact for the time being, but watch yourself buster.

If it's a refin, it's interesting that the color of the guitar appears the same in that video, that has to be at least 30 years old. Thoughts?

Fred...do you have any insight?
    Thanks Charlie. So guitars actively being 'marketed' as bursts are legitimate guitars for discussion? Just want to be clear not to break the conditions of my probation.

I'm thinking that if it is a top refin, maybe it's possible it was done at Gibson in the early 70's. Those rings appear to be M8 pickup rings from the 70's also.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast