• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Footage of a black Strat in the 50's?

roadrunner

Yup, that's a black Strat. Carl Perkins playing it.

Check out a 1958 film called, "Bell, Book, and Candle"... there's another custom color Strat in that one, it's really cool. Great movie too!

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
Yup, that's a black Strat. Carl Perkins playing it.

Check out a 1958 film called, "Bell, Book, and Candle"... there's another custom color Strat in that one, it's really cool. Great movie too!

Very cool... never heard of it, but I will check it out. thanks man. ;-)

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fth9Z25iqyA

Awesome!!! and in blue. there's a picture of this guitar in black and white (and Charlie Aldrich, the player) on page 139 in Richard Smith's book "Fender, The Sound Heard 'Round The World). I always wondered where that came from. thanks man!!! ;-)

roadrunner

Yeah, looks like Lake Placid Blue and an anodized guard. The film came out in '58, so the guitar's probably a '57. I forgot Richard put a pic of it in his book. Any '50's Fender with a non-standard finish is incredibly rare.

S. Cane

carl-perkins-boppin.jpg

JBLPplayer

That picture is way cool!! The guitar looks to be a 56 or 57 in my humble. Looks like Bakelite parts but it's a crude picture. Still awesome to see such history. :dude:

Joe B

DMartini

is that gold hardware as well?

would that to bring it more in line with the LPC's of the 50s?
why is black such a rare colour for these guitars?

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
Awesome!!! and hey, Joe B., how about posting some pics of the Howard Reed Strat? I've only known about and seen two... would LOVE to see more. :)

roadrunner

is that gold hardware as well?

would that to bring it more in line with the LPC's of the 50s?
why is black such a rare colour for these guitars?

Might be gold parts, the tuners look gold.

Any color, other than sunburst, for a '50's Strat (if it's original from the factory) is INSANELY rare.