• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to track down a long gone Les

Maxmc

Great tone. What amp did you use to record that tune?

It was a locally made 40w tube job called an "Electrovox", built for a local music store back in the late 60s. Volume, Treble, Bass and inputs marked Bass and Accordion. I still have it somewhere. Last time I fired it up it was making weird noises. Two EL34 tubes in it.

MS 57

Thanks for posting !
That was fun to watch. Great sound on your Les Paul.
Hope you find out more about it :salude

Mike58

Nice playing , tasteful, no flash.... cool.
Tone of the guitar is great , you can hear the string snap.
Hope you hunt it down

cjp54

Really nice tone and playing. I enjoyed that also. Hope you find your old friend somewhere down the road!

Maxmc

I think my old friend is long gone. However my new friend a CC#6 that I recently acquired is certainly helping me to move on.

Last edited:

Maxmc

I'm in the process of moving house so during the clean up/get rid of the shit operation I unearthed the old Electravox amp that I used with my old Les Paul all those years ago. The speaker is now in a box of its own so I dragged that out as well and hooked it up to the amp. I then turned the amp on and it immediately started to make "bird noises" but after a while all was relatively quiet. I then grabbed my CC#6 and tentatively plugged it into the accordion input and slowly turned the volume up on the amp. Wow! Why have I left this amp languish in the attic? I don't know about tone, but the sustain was forever. I can't accurately describe the sound except to say the amp seems to breathe, have a life of its own. Notes would bloom and sustain to feedback. Now, we're talking about a 40w amp on about 5 out of ten. I cannot remember the old Les Paul reacting like this to this amp. I think I'm going to have some fun in the new house!

Maxmc

I have had this on the site for some time http://www.burst-videobase.com/#!tablet-database-1960/c114c
It has already been mentioned on LPF - try searching back
Thanks David but all of this info on the database has come from me. The guitar went to the US in the early 2000s through the Chicago Music Exchange. That's as far as I've been able to track it. CME changed hands in recent times and the present management has no records from the time that the guitar passed through. If you know anything more it would definitely make my day.

david plues

Thanks David but all of this info on the database has come from me. The guitar went to the US in the early 2000s through the Chicago Music Exchange. That's as far as I've been able to track it. CME changed hands in recent times and the present management has no records from the time that the guitar passed through. If you know anything more it would definitely make my day.

I wonder if tom wittrock knows the original owner - he was at toms booth at Arlington in 2010 at the time of the handover

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I wonder if tom wittrock knows the original owner - he was at toms booth at Arlington in 2010 at the time of the handover

I think you are talking about Scott Silver. I have seen him at a show since then, maybe last October at Arlington? I don't know if he has a shop or works without one. :hmm

david plues

I think you are talking about Scott Silver. I have seen him at a show since then, maybe last October at Arlington? I don't know if he has a shop or works without one. :hmm

thanks Tom, I'm sure Maxmc can use this track him down and find out more -

Maxmc

By a sheer stroke of luck I was browsing a CD which had been lost at the bottom of my filing cabinet and found this good picture of 0 0304:
My%20old%20Les%20Paul_zpsbwaftlzo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Maxmc

Actually, this photo was one that Jackson's Rare Guitars took when they were selling guitar for the guy who bought it off me. I am assuming this is when Brad Shepherd acquired it. He didn't have it for long and it was sold back to the US never to see the light of day again. I'm still hoping that someone on this site can throw some light on where it is now. A picture would mean the world. I am hoping to travel to the US next year sometime so who knows what might eventuate. Maybe a play.

Tarcisioo

I don't think naming it Max Burst is the best option for any genuine 1958-60 Les Paul Standard :spabout

Maxmc

I don't think naming it Max Burst is the best option for any genuine 1958-60 Les Paul Standard :spabout
I was hoping to flush out the present owner with that outrageous statement. "Not my guitar you don't!"

Maxmc

Re: 0 0304 Where are you!!

Thought I might bump this thread. It's out there somewhere. Oh well, worth a try.