• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Collector's Choice #34...Coming Soon "Blackburst"

customshop2

LPF Premier Sponsor!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0m-okd1BCUYkUwZjVuc085ZGs/view?usp=sharing

This week,we'll announce a short run of "Blackburst": a 1960 'Burst that was sprayed ebony at the Kalamazoo Factory when a customer wanted a Black Beauty, couldn't afford one and ordered a Black Standard instead. At the time, Gibson had plenty of inventory so they scuffed and sprayed over a 'burst rather than build a new one to fill the special order. I'm sure we'll hear a few moans about spraying over a flamed sunburst, but the original guitar's character is rich, it's a great playing and sounding guitar and the project was a lot of fun for us. Over the decades, the original's aniline dye bled into the binding and the cherry from the 'burst shows through where there's wear.

Each one of the run comes with a photo of the original top and sunburst that we've sprayed (and aged) over and the original serial number and chip# are written on the back of the control access cavity cover. The link above shows Lenny Kravitz walking to the stage with the prototype at Super Bowl 49. I'll share some studio shots of one of them in the next few days, but wanted to give the LP Forum members advance notice that these are going to start showing up in stores in the US late this month, and then the EMEA and Japan in April. We didn't get a chance to get some advance input from all of you, but tell us what you think if you're inclined. Thanks in advance....Kevin

oldsongs

It's an exciting guitar. Would you say the original has maybe the best documented history/provenance of any vintage guitar out there?

customshop2

LPF Premier Sponsor!
It's an exciting guitar. Would you say the original has maybe the best documented history/provenance of any vintage guitar out there?

I'm not sure on that. I don't have info tracing it back, by name, to the person that placed the special order in 1960. We have had two guitars that I'm aware of where we can actually name the original owner and every owner since. In one case, we have a '59 that only had one owner before the Collector that ordered it up for a CC model. Kevin.

duaneflowers

This one should be an awesome run! :3zone

kjV1z5z.jpg

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Kevin asked me to post this for him.:jim

CC%2334-X3.jpg