• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Grover to Kluson change

DMartini

Hi Greg (and everyone else) I have a Gibson ES 359 (great wee guitar) that im looking to change the machine heads on, because if im honest it does neck dive a little due to the small semi body design and the heavy Grover Rotormatics.
so im looking at Kluson single line double rings for the new tuners to replace the Grovers, my question is, are there any dramas in changing the Grovers for Kluson tuners?
mandatory photos...
DSC00688_zps1tdiq1xv.jpg

13321330_zps1tv37dxq.jpg

garywright

I had no problem converting my j45 deluxe from Grovers to standard Klusons ...the one mounting hole is already in line so you'll only need to drill six holes ...the stock Kluson bushings had some wiggle room so I wrapped a loop or two of painters tape around them then pushed them down into place ..may not be the most professional way, but it worked well enough for me.

garywright

you're welcome ...depending on how taunt the Grover bushings were cranked down you may have a slight outer ring depression showing ....but I prefer that than using the large converter bushings

slater529

When I put Klusons back on my R8 that had been "upgraded" with Grovers, there was a pretty nasty indentation around each tuner hole.

I went with Gotoh Wide Lip conversion bushings to cover up the indentations.

i-tLj78H4-XL.jpg

Last edited:

DMartini

brilliant, thanks for that guys, that's put any worries I had to bed cheers :salude

DMartini

hey guys, I got the Klusons, they look pretty dam good actually, a question though...
will these tuner adapter bushings fit? I would really like to put the bigger Grover bushings back on it because I like that look a bit better? are these what you were referring to Gary?
_57h_zpsqkma603f.jpg

they are on fleabay, I have shot the guy an email a few days ago, however he hasn't replied as yet.
some photos of them in place - for renderit! :peace2 "no photos, no dice" :laugh2:
DSC00706_zpsjdrdijqv.jpg

DSC00707_zpstqmcuccj.jpg

Last edited:

garywright

no, I was referring too going from a Grover that uses a screw on bushing and then I installing a set of vintage style klusons

Dothedew

Hey those look real fancy! Really digging how the headstock inlay, binding, and tuners compliment each other. Also, Slater529 that is a cool looking fretboard. Does the rest of the board have that wavy grain?

slater529

Hey those look real fancy! Really digging how the headstock inlay, binding, and tuners compliment each other. Also, Slater529 that is a cool looking fretboard. Does the rest of the board have that wavy grain?

Thanks Dothedew. Most of the waves are in the first 4 or 5 frets. :eek:la

i-4pgPkH4-XL.jpg

i-tvgBChK-XL.jpg

i-NGTmfpX-XL.jpg

moonweasel

How is the neck dive condition, improved? They look great, and you lucked out not getting a lot of Grover "scarring" on the front of the headstock. I wish I could go back to my Super Klusons on my 69 LPC, but the Grovers are ONE with that finish having been on there for 40+ years. hehe

DMartini

so... does anyone know if that's what I need? will the ferrules and bushings fit?

guitplayer

I found some aged conversion bushings from gr guitars.
Press in bushing grover to kluson(1/4).Or in this case Gibson deluxe to kluson deluxe. Worked well.

Minibucker

Reading more 'carefully'…if you want to have the larger hex-bolt bushings like they were with the Grovers, but with the lighter machine heads like Klusons, then these are the tuners you want…..

http://www.toneproskluson.com/portfolio-items/tpkb3-series-tuners/?portfolioID=95

or

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...d/Grover_Vintage_135_Series_3and3_Tuners.html

….but you'll have to replace the button if you want double-ring.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Tuner_Parts/Keystone_Tuner_Knob.html
http://www.wdmusic.com/KLUSON_PEARLOID_KEYSTONE_BUTTON_DOUBLE RING_BUTTON_SLN_DR.html