• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Collector's Choice Rich Robinson Goldtop?

moonweasel

Hey Kevin!

That's very nice of him to offer it up. Apparently it is a 68 according to that thread, which I didn't know.

Just being honest, I think most people in these parts who like aged guitars like a "naturally" aged look, honest play wear kinda thing. If the original was sanded as it appears to be, that look replicated in a CC might be just "off" enough to make it harder to sell. My two cents only, I could be totally wrong. Thanks for asking us.

moonweasel

Here is a better pic, pretty cool actually! I just read the history of it, he has had it forever.

More info at this link ---> http://www.vintageguitar.com/3449/rich-robinson/

13-robinson.jpg

customshop2

LPF Premier Sponsor!
Thanks for honest input Moonweasel (and the better picture!).

Hey Kevin!

That's very nice of him to offer it up. Apparently it is a 68 according to that thread, which I didn't know.

Just being honest, I think most people in these parts who like aged guitars like a "naturally" aged look, honest play wear kinda thing. If the original was sanded as it appears to be, that look replicated in a CC might be just "off" enough to make it harder to sell. My two cents only, I could be totally wrong. Thanks for asking us.

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Kevin,

I agree with Moonweasel. The sanded look, I think, would limit the amount of people who would be interested in this guitar. Add to that(if it's true) the fact that it is a 68, and you'd have another limiting factor.
Tom Wittrock's G.I. Paul on the other hand, would have a huge appeal for alot of people in my opinion.:jim

garywright

Kevin,

I agree with Moonweasel. The sanded look, I think, would limit the amount of people who would be interested in this guitar. Add to that(if it's true) the fact that it is a 68, and you'd have another limiting factor.
Tom Wittrock's G.I. Paul on the other hand, would have a huge appeal for alot of people in my opinion.:jim

what Charlie said.

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Kevin,

Just for reference, here's Tom's G.I. Paul:

Arlington%20Guitar%20Show%20224-X2.jpg

moonweasel

I think the only way to replicate GI's look is to strap some NOS CC's to a space ship's heat shield and send it through reentry. :)

duaneflowers

G.I. Paul has tons more appeal for me than the RRGT... it would actually be my #1 choice for a new CC. The sanding on that one doesn't do much for me at all.

If Duane's GT wasn't refinished it would be a great contender, but not the way it looks now. A '57 GT with more aging than the CEO CC would be my second choice. Something like this one (7 3308) would rock my world...

cZvBcsD.jpg

2wN0YQ7.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
How would they duplicate this? :wah

917_p41271.jpg

917_p51491.jpg

917_p51492.jpg

Or this?:hmm

917_p51455.jpg

I fear it would be way too expensive.
And seriously, who wants a copy of this one, rather than a nice, heavily worn GT? :ganz

duaneflowers

How would they duplicate it? Meticulously, of course! Personally, I have no idea how they would do it, but I'm sure it must be doable. I have a woodworker friend here in Japan who just restored an old Meiji Era Japanese Cedar table. The wood on one leg had mold or something on it so deep that it couldn't be removed without replacing the whole leg. They were able to replicate the color and texture of the mold so that, while not my cup of tea (no strings), it looked pretty authentic to me. Might have to think outside of the traditional aging box for that one but I'm sure its possible. No doubt expensive, but possible and well worth the added expense IMHO.

As for "who wants a copy of this one"?... I most certainly would! If I can't have the original (and by have I mean gifted as I could never afford anything so high on the awesome scale) I would gladly settle for a replica... if done well. That is one of the coolest, most distinctive and badass lesters I have ever seen in my life... and I've seen more than my share! :salude

917_p41271.jpg

917_p51491.jpg

917_p51492.jpg

917_p51455.jpg

And seriously, who wants a copy of this one, rather than a nice, heavily worn GT? :ganz

customshop2

LPF Premier Sponsor!

917_p41271.jpg

917_p51491.jpg

917_p51492.jpg

917_p51455.jpg

Oh man....that looks more like a disease than a finish. It scores cool points for sure, but by the time we replicate something like that, you could buy a house for the labor costs. Really love all this input though....keep it comin'!

customshop2

LPF Premier Sponsor!
G.I. Paul has tons more appeal for me than the RRGT... it would actually be my #1 choice for a new CC. The sanding on that one doesn't do much for me at all.

If Duane's GT wasn't refinished it would be a great contender, but not the way it looks now. A '57 GT with more aging than the CEO CC would be my second choice. Something like this one (7 3308) would rock my world...

cZvBcsD.jpg

2wN0YQ7.jpg
This one is definitely interesting? Where does it live and who owns it?

duaneflowers

Kevin...that one is mine!:jim

That one have a nickname, Charlie? It definitely has a lot going for it. I was never really intrigued in the least by the CEO Burst GT, but this one hits all the right buttons! :wow

J.D.

I'm saving my pennies for the "official" Gibson "Bad Coconuts" CC:

Bad_Coconuts_CC.jpg