The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Collector's Choice Rich Robinson Goldtop?

Anyone have thoughts to share on Gibson Custom possibly doing a Collector's Choice of Rich Robinson's (Black Crowes) Goldtop? He's generoously offered her up and we'd like some input from the forum. Here's a look: http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...binson-Goldtop

Thanks....Kevin

Les Paul Forum Member moonweasel's Avatar

Re: Collector's Choice Rich Robinson Goldtop?

Hey Kevin!

That's very nice of him to offer it up. Apparently it is a 68 according to that thread, which I didn't know.

Just being honest, I think most people in these parts who like aged guitars like a "naturally" aged look, honest play wear kinda thing. If the original was sanded as it appears to be, that look replicated in a CC might be just "off" enough to make it harder to sell. My two cents only, I could be totally wrong. Thanks for asking us.

Thanks for honest input Moonweasel (and the better picture!).

Quote Originally Posted by moonweasel View Post
    Hey Kevin!

That's very nice of him to offer it up. Apparently it is a 68 according to that thread, which I didn't know.

Just being honest, I think most people in these parts who like aged guitars like a "naturally" aged look, honest play wear kinda thing. If the original was sanded as it appears to be, that look replicated in a CC might be just "off" enough to make it harder to sell. My two cents only, I could be totally wrong. Thanks for asking us.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Kevin,

I agree with Moonweasel. The sanded look, I think, would limit the amount of people who would be interested in this guitar. Add to that(if it's true) the fact that it is a 68, and you'd have another limiting factor.
    Tom Wittrock's G.I. Paul on the other hand, would have a huge appeal for alot of people in my opinion.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    Kevin,

I agree with Moonweasel. The sanded look, I think, would limit the amount of people who would be interested in this guitar. Add to that(if it's true) the fact that it is a 68, and you'd have another limiting factor.
    Tom Wittrock's G.I. Paul on the other hand, would have a huge appeal for alot of people in my opinion.
    what Charlie said.

Kevin,

Just for reference, here's Tom's G.I. Paul:

Quote Originally Posted by customshop2 View Post
    Thanks for honest input Moonweasel (and the better picture!).
    No problem, Kevin! To be clear, I don't think any of us don't think Rich's guitar is great.

I think the only way to replicate GI's look is to strap some NOS CC's to a space ship's heat shield and send it through reentry.

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

G.I. Paul has tons more appeal for me than the RRGT... it would actually be my #1 choice for a new CC. The sanding on that one doesn't do much for me at all.

If Duane's GT wasn't refinished it would be a great contender, but not the way it looks now. A '57 GT with more aging than the CEO CC would be my second choice. Something like this one (7 3308) would rock my world...

Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Les Paul Forum Member

I think the only way to replicate GI's look is to strap some NOS CC's to a space ship's heat shield and send it through reentry.
    it does have a cool lunar appearance

Les Paul Forum Member Beano Geno's Avatar

No doubt!!!

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

How would they duplicate this?

Or this?

I fear it would be way too expensive.
    And seriously, who wants a copy of this one, rather than a nice, heavily worn GT?
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

How would they duplicate it? Meticulously, of course! Personally, I have no idea how they would do it, but I'm sure it must be doable. I have a woodworker friend here in Japan who just restored an old Meiji Era Japanese Cedar table. The wood on one leg had mold or something on it so deep that it couldn't be removed without replacing the whole leg. They were able to replicate the color and texture of the mold so that, while not my cup of tea (no strings), it looked pretty authentic to me. Might have to think outside of the traditional aging box for that one but I'm sure its possible. No doubt expensive, but possible and well worth the added expense IMHO.

As for "who wants a copy of this one"?... I most certainly would! If I can't have the original (and by have I mean gifted as I could never afford anything so high on the awesome scale) I would gladly settle for a replica... if done well. That is one of the coolest, most distinctive and badass lesters I have ever seen in my life... and I've seen more than my share!

Quote Originally Posted by TW59 View Post

Or this?

And seriously, who wants a copy of this one, rather than a nice, heavily worn GT?
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Quote Originally Posted by TW59 View Post

Or this?

Oh man....that looks more like a disease than a finish. It scores cool points for sure, but by the time we replicate something like that, you could buy a house for the labor costs. Really love all this input though....keep it comin'!

No problem, Kevin! To be clear, I don't think any of us don't think Rich's guitar is great.
    That's the great input we're looking for. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by duaneflowers View Post
    G.I. Paul has tons more appeal for me than the RRGT... it would actually be my #1 choice for a new CC. The sanding on that one doesn't do much for me at all.

If Duane's GT wasn't refinished it would be a great contender, but not the way it looks now. A '57 GT with more aging than the CEO CC would be my second choice. Something like this one (7 3308) would rock my world...

This one is definitely interesting? Where does it live and who owns it?

Kevin...that one is mine!

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    Kevin...that one is mine!
    That one have a nickname, Charlie? It definitely has a lot going for it. I was never really intrigued in the least by the CEO Burst GT, but this one hits all the right buttons!
    Tone To The Bone!

I'm saving my pennies for the "official" Gibson "Bad Coconuts" CC:

Tone To The Bone!