• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1968 1969 Les Paul Database: Updated!New very early LPC shipping info. May 28 1968

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
Hey folks,

The new forum layout is great! I also visited Moonweasel's Late Sixties Les Pauls site and man is that looking great as well. Nice work Stephen!

Some of you may remember my 1968 1969 Les Paul Database which is linked in my sig. I have been inspired recently for a variety of reasons to start to further update the database. I received more details about my 68 LPC and 69 LPGT from Gibson customer service. They let me know that Serial number 899358 appears consistent with a Les Paul Custom ship left the plant on 5/28/68. So it is one of the 1968 NAMM Les Pauls!

My LPGT info - 538883 appears to be part of group of Les Paul Standard models which left the plant on 3/11/69. With this new shipment info I have added columns to the database.

Here is the updated database - http://www.atomeveeclipse.com/data/LPStats.html

Please contact me if you would like your LP added. :salude

Thank you
Bryan

moonweasel

Thanks Bryan! It was a LOT of work recoding the entire thing last year. Did you see the article about confirmed 68 Standards with factory humbuckers? A couple of them are even plausible factory sunbursts.

Your Custom is crazy early. It's unusual to have such a big difference in shipping dates with such a small difference in serials from the ledger page you have. (between your guitar and these I mean)

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
Looking at the ledger of that small spread of serials those guitars shipped everywhere from July to December 1968.

The NAMM show was in June of 1968 and the May ship date is indicative of the guitar leaving the factory to go to NAMM. The Les Pauls were not released for general sale to the public until some time around August of 1968. I had originally been told my guitar shipped in August but the info from Gibson confirms May 28. I wonder if the Les Pauls returned from NAMM to be shipped to dealers in August or if they ended up with Les Paul, other celebrities or perhaps dealers who were also in attendance at NAMM??

I have heard that Kalamazoo was shut down for a good part of July that year (not from Gibson)? Ever heard that?

I have reached out to my contact at Gibson for further info and expect to hear back from him tomorrow or Friday. Keep you posted.....

moonweasel

Looking at the ledger of that small spread of serials those guitars shipped everywhere from July to December 1968.

I was referring to "model to model". Note the LP's are close together.

The NAMM show was in June of 1968 and the May ship date is indicative of the guitar leaving the factory to go to NAMM. The Les Pauls were not released for general sale to the public until some time around August of 1968. I had originally been told my guitar shipped in August but the info from Gibson confirms May 28. I wonder if the Les Pauls returned from NAMM to be shipped to dealers in August or if they ended up with Les Paul, other celebrities or perhaps dealers who were also in attendance at NAMM??

No idea, hmm...

I have heard that Kalamazoo was shut down for a good part of July that year (not from Gibson)? Ever heard that?

No, haven't heard that. LP's were shipping in July, I know that for sure.

I have reached out to my contact at Gibson for further info and expect to hear back from him tomorrow or Friday. Keep you posted.....

Cool!

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
Yep, similar types sometimes shipped in batches. Note "538883 appears to be part of group of Les Paul Standard models which left the plant on 3/11/69". No mention of group or exact address on my 68.

Robs book put sale to public around August IIRC. Love to see your July info. I have some other info I will send you via email.

Cheers,
Bryan

MIKE20

Do have the shipping ledger photos for your 538xxx?

My BB is a 538xxx...

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
I don't but am trying to find it and the one for 899358. :## I did speak with Gibson concerning the guitar and have a bit of a project in the works. Hopefully it grows a pair of legs.

Last edited:

cistec

Hi Bryan

I have a 1968 Custom Black Beauty with a serial prefix of 899864, I have been told it is one of the 400 produced that year..its condition is good, not a collector item and it has had expert repairs from a Gibson luthier on the binding and headstock with minimum refin to the back and neck which looks fantastic. All original guitar/Case (apart from repairs mentioned) and it sounds as you would expect from a 1968 Beauty..Thunderous!!! If you need any info from the guitar please let me know I would be more than happy to help add to your great database.

cistec

Australia

lhric

Hey folks,

The new forum layout is great! I also visited Moonweasel's Late Sixties Les Pauls site and man is that looking great as well. Nice work Stephen!

Some of you may remember my 1968 1969 Les Paul Database which is linked in my sig. I have been inspired recently for a variety of reasons to start to further update the database. I received more details about my 68 LPC and 69 LPGT from Gibson customer service. They let me know that Serial number 899358 appears consistent with a Les Paul Custom ship left the plant on 5/28/68. So it is one of the 1968 NAMM Les Pauls!

My LPGT info - 538883 appears to be part of group of Les Paul Standard models which left the plant on 3/11/69. With this new shipment info I have added columns to the database.

Here is the updated database - http://www.atomeveeclipse.com/data/LPStats.html

Please contact me if you would like your LP added. :salude

Thank you
Bryan

Hi Bryan
If you would like to add my guitar to the database. Les Paul goldtop "Standard" . Serial number 529247. One piece neck, small headstock with 50s style Gibson inlay, one piece solid body, p90s, re-fretted, shipped 1/14/1969 per Gibson legder archives. Thanks. Larry