• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help dating a pancake body.

bramley

I posted this rescue way back when I completed it . It was a trans red body that had been chopped up. I'm curious if the control cavity routing can help with a broad manufacturing date .
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?173978-LP-rescue&highlight=rescue

Picture5-1.png

controlcav.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Did you get the original neck with that body, and if so, was it mahogany or maple?

bramley

TW, No, the neck had been removed and was long gone. It's a great sounding guitar unplugged , very open and clean plugged in.

moonweasel

The long-ish tenon route was added. Hmmm. Not sure if there is a way. Sorry!

bramley

Thanks for taking a look. It's not critical as the thing has no re sale value, but it's become my #1 work guitar so was just curious.

FWIW it has the "shelf" around the floor of the cavity , I've read that indicates a later manufacturing date.

closecontr.jpg

Separate body pic, maybe the tenon is clearer in this. ( 'view image' & zoom)

lpfr.jpg

Last edited:

Progrocker111

It still has early 70s cavity routing and centered cable tunnel, so its for sure at latest from late 73. Top carve is fairly flat, so to me its most probably from late 71 - late 73. :)

bramley

Thanks, that's great to know. It really rings out , probably a combo of the age and the fact that I capped all those holes rather than fill them .

Last edited:

renderit

Well, any girl with an eating problem dates just like any other girl! And there is no need to use derogatory terms! Pancakes are enjoyed by many of the population as evidenced by the popular chain Pancake House and also Waffle House. Waffle House actually sells more pancakes than waffles. And since she may frequent one of these establishments please refrain from referring to her as "waffle bottom" as well. I would suggest for a first date going to the movies though, as it may be cheaper...

Last edited: