• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

refret time - advice welcomed

sikoniko

My '60 strat needs a refret. I've put it off longer than I should have. I like vintage size frets (that is the size I preferred on my custom shops), but my dealer is suggesting I go with a bigger fret (155, 6105) to get a longer life. I know that he is pushing his preference, but he does have more experience on this than I do. What do you guys think? stick to my guns with the vintage size or go bigger?

britbender

Stick to your guns !

Personally I like 6105, but if you like vintage-style frets then that's the way to go.

Nice to keep it as close to orig. spec as possible perhaps ?

DanD

FWIW my Hamer Daytona is being refretted now. Original frets were narrow and fell somewhere in between vintage and 6105s in height. I went with the 6105s also. I figure as they get dressed down they'll reach the original height again.

I know it's not the same consideration I'd give a vintage Strat but in the end a refret has been done either way. I'd just try to stay with the same width fret wire.

Formvar

I think you answered your question when you said you like vintage size frets. Just think, new vintage size fret wire will feel substantial to you coming from a neck that is way overdue for a fret job.

mad dog

When my '61 strat needed frets, I was lucky enough to find my way to Roger Sadowsky in NYC. Went down to his shop. He suggested staying with vintage size frets. At that point, I was not aware there were even other choices. Since then, have played many medium jumbo fretted guitar and loved them, but that old strat just feels best with vintage frets. Very happy Roger suggested it. The next time I need frets, it'll be vintage size again.
MD

roycaster

I had my ’73 Telecaster Custom refretted a few months ago. I went with original frets. I got it back and was really happy I had it done. I left it in the case for a while, pulled it out, started playing it and started to second guess not going larger. After leaving in the case again I pulled it out and played it. I was so glad I stuck with the small vintage frets…