• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Marshall 1930 'Popular' 2x10 Combo.

JimCrint

Hi Chaps

This 10watt 2x10 1930 Marshall amp has been offered to me but I have no interest in Marshalls whatsoever.

If anybody can give me an approximate value I would be grateful and if anybody wishes to purchase it, I will pass on their contact details to the owner. The amp is situated in Essex UK.

68goldtop

Formerly Omo
Hi Jim!

Despite the name, I think these never became very "poplular"...
I have to say that I never played one myslef, but it seems that they only carry a single pre-amp tube which seems rather limiting.

Sorry, I have no idea about the actual value, but given the popularity of ANYTHING from the 60´s that carries a "brand-name" I suspect it won´t be too hard to sell...

cheers - 68.

B

Banker

It's done the rounds Jim. Best bid will be MG......and you know what it'll turn into then.

JimCrint

Hi Banker

The present owner bought it in 1980 and he told me it has been unused for many years, he 'gave' it to his son who wishes to sell it to assist with a deposit on a house.

Knowing sod all about Marshalls but realising that yourself and others, know what is what with these things, I posted the pictures.

When you say 'it has done the rounds' do you mean it is well worn, or have you seen this one before?

The seller is a 'friend' of a friend, so I have no interest in this one way or another, just putting it out there as a favour and yes I know, no good deed goes unpunished.....

MG can go take a flying **** at a rolling donut.... words cannot adequately express the loathing I have for that scum and their pal 'Fingers'.

B

Banker

Jim,

I couldn't agree with you more on MG. Nothing to add there.

I talked to Simon about this amp a few weeks ago, as have many others. His son is trying to buy a house in Cornwall, so the £ will help towards the deposit. Like it or not (and I don't), MG will be the best bid on this particular amp, so the advice was given to him in knowledge of the circumstances. He wants best price, I told him where to get it and how much to ask for.

JimCrint

In that case 'Simon' who I have never spoken to until today, is playing his cards very close to his chest and told me nothing of this.

I was asked by a good friend to see if I could help this 'Simon' and he has not been straight with me, he has already had the best advice.

He acted the complete innocent who knew nothing.

As I said previously, no good turn goes unpunished.

So he too can join MG in the donut dance. They will make a good match.

Thanks Banker.

B

Banker

Jim,

At least we have the chassis photos, so if it does crop up converted into an 18 at some point we'll know.

Kudos to you for trying to help.

kerryboy

Hi Jim

I have had about 5 of these amps over the years. I would say that the one in your photos is probably a 1969 with that grill cloth, badge and what looks like a plexiglass panel.

They are okay as a nice entry level vintage Marshall. They have their own sound which some like and others don't. You can pretty much use them at home at full volume and you get a nice overdriven growl without upsetting the neighbours to much. Generally they tend to have quite a bit of amp noise/hiss. At least all of mine did.

There are a couple of newer solder joints in your photo, so I would suspect that there has been a few component changes. Although it doesn't look like anything major work has been done.

I would reckon if it went on ebay it would go for £800 to £1k in the UK. There are some that come up in US shops from time to time and they are asking crazy prices over there.

I am not sure why you are being advised to go to MG, thats not something I would necessarily do.

kerryboy

I forgot to mention that I preferred the 1 x 12 version. They had a much better sound. The 2 x 10's tended to sound a bit trebley to me.

B

Banker

I am not sure why you are being advised to go to MG, thats not something I would necessarily do.

It's not Jim's amp.

I was asked who in the UK would pay most. Answer IMHO is MG, solely because they'll turn it into an 18. The question was asked, the answer was given......even though the answer in far from perfect.

kerryboy

It's not Jim's amp.

I was asked who in the UK would pay most. Answer IMHO is MG, solely because they'll turn it into an 18. The question was asked, the answer was given......even though the answer in far from perfect.

Fair enough, I fully understand why you advised to go that route. Although I can't imagine they would pay near to what it would get on ebay.

Given what we know about their exploits, it would be my advice to steer clear of MG so as not to give them the opportunity to unleash yet another fake/botched amp onto the scene.

It would be such a shame to let them get there hands on it.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I sold one these last year for pretty cheap (1500.00).

Was a 1969 metal panel 2x10 with "Adastra" speakers that I never could figure if they were original.

was totally faded when I bought it:
1930_front.jpg

1930_sticker.jpg

1930_top.jpg

1930_trans.jpg

marshall_faded_grill.jpg

1930_trans.jpg

kerryboy

Nice amp Wilco.

I believe I'm correct in saying that the speakers in that amp would have been Celestion 7442's. I not sue if the grill cloth is correct, but maybe its the fading as you said.

markguitar

Les Paul Forum Member
Hi Jim!

Despite the name, I think these never became very "poplular"...
I have to say that I never played one myslef, but it seems that they only carry a single pre-amp tube which seems rather limiting.

Sorry, I have no idea about the actual value, but given the popularity of ANYTHING from the 60´s that carries a "brand-name" I suspect it won´t be too hard to sell...

cheers - 68.

These amps do only have one 12AX7 preamp tube but they also use EL86 power tubes. EL86 power tubes are half power tube and half preamp tube. So there are more stages available for the preamp section. I have an all original '69 with plexi panel, original cover and original warranty card! The only negative is that you have to use a step up transformer.

kerryboy

These amps do only have one 12AX7 preamp tube but they also use EL86 power tubes. EL86 power tubes are half power tube and half preamp tube. So there are more stages available for the preamp section. I have an all original '69 with plexi panel, original cover and original warranty card! The only negative is that you have to use a step up transformer.

Its actually an ECL86 tube

mwman

I happened apon this thread by chance!

I am the Simon in question and I find the comments quite offensive!
I had been offered various amounts for the amp and as such was not sure what was a genuine price, I sought as many peoples opinions as was possible.
The inference that I was punting it around is unfounded, I was relying on the forums knowledge to value the amp, I truly had NO idea of it's value and wished to secure the best price for my son!

Due to the wide variations valuations suggested in emails and offers to buy at the time, I advised him not to sell as they ain't making them any more and it's rarity will increase with time!!!!

I was against it being modified to make a clone 18W unit to con a less well informed buyer, that was unless the buyer was aware and fully happy with that, people do mod old amps to their need/requirements.
I find the comments unfounded that assume I am out to rip people off! NO!!!

Don't be so quick to judge others on your on moral standards, they after all reflect your own image/standards/thoughts!
We still have the amp, this is due to the vast differences in value offered, put another way, if I owned a valuable painting and new nothing about art I would hope to find a genuine person to guide me and not expect a Spanish Inquisition!