• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

FEATURED ARTICLE: A Pioneering Lady, Kay Koster of "Koster Guitar Center"

moonweasel

Yo,

Always on the hunt for period LSLP literature, I found two separate auctions for a Gibson Retail Price Guide from September, 1969. I hadn't seen this particular piece before, so I tried to decided which one to bid on. One was flawless, more expensive, and probably had never been used. The other had "SAVE - Desk Copy" written on it in big letters. It also had a couple wrinkles and a stamp reading "Koster Guitar Center - 604 Seventh Street - Rockford, Illinois" on it. The auction description mentioned that this item was from a recent estate auction. A little Googling later, and I knew I had to bid on the second one!

Enter Kay Koster. Pioneer of the dedicated Guitar Store. Honored by NAMM in their Oral History Project. A cool lady, now gone. She would travel the Wisconsin country side teaching guitar lessons five days a week.... BY HERSELF IN THE 1930's !!!

She bought her store in 1940 and was one of the first Fender dealers in the country.

She is a member of the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame as well.

Worth a read if you have the time.... I have embedded a video interview of her as well.

LINK --> http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/article_koster.asp

koster1.jpg

Last edited: