• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1969 versus say 1971 LP Custom pickups and parts.

renderit

Is there any way I can tell a 1969 LP Custom humbucker from a Norlin one say 1970? 1971? 1972? up to 1974? I have a set of these I wish to sell but I really hate to misrepresent them. The guitar I got them off of left my hands in 77-78. I want to say I picked it up in 1976 and it was used at the time. I did many mods on the unit for a customer and (as part of the deal) kept most of the hardware. As this was almost 40 years ago I can't really remember a lot about the guitar other than it was a black custom I stripped, added a third pickup route, changed tuners and went nickel on it. It was finished natural and was quite a looker, but I don't remember a lot else like was it sandwich, 3 piece neck etc. I don't think it had a volute, but that does not mean I didn't remove it either, I did a few of those back in the day. I know I worked on it between my NY shop and Kansas which puts the date of the work summer 76.

So there is the question. How do I date them (I am guessing the pickups are probably the easiest way and the covers can come off if I need to).

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
There is no difference in those parts until 1972 when many got embossed covers. Other than that they stay the same until mid 70s.

The humbuckers are virtually identical from about '67 through about '75.

renderit

Sorry, I misread your answer. Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

Progrocker111

No way to date them exactly. 1969 - mid 1974 patent stickered T-Tops are the same in apparel except very late 71 - 72 ones with embossed covers.