• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

If You Bought A 2015 Les Paul, I Want To Speak With You

59Sunburst

[FONT=&quot]I traded my son's 2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro III wine red for a 2004 Yamaha V-Star. I lost money but what can I say, is my kid. Fast forward 2 years and the neck tone pot is making noise in the up position. I opened it up and sprayed contact cleaner but still making noise. Sprayed some lubricant and still making noise. Took it out and inspected it with my 10X magnification visor and multimeter and couldn't find anything wrong. Took it to my nearest Sam Ash and showed it to Paul a straight shooter technician and in my opinion a master Luthier. He strongly recommended gutting it out and installing traditional pots and caps.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Funny he said that because I've been contemplating just that. I'm old school and although I welcome technology I prefer old school guitars. I've been repairing guitars for many years so I'm upgrading all the electronics (everything in every cavity) to include installing Seymour Duncan 59's, Vintage Inspired 550k Potentiometers with Bumblebee .022 capacitors, and replacing the G-Force with Gibson Deluxe tuners.[/FONT]

Mobjan

I totally see that point.... "Improving the wheel" and all.

I like improvements. I'm not exactly in the market demo for a a collector's choice... I want to play and USE my guitars.

However who is the "new gen" player and what do they want?

It seems like they want sub $1k guitars. Hi-Tech or not. Tons of younger guitarists want the black keys/jack white vibe....decidedly not in the gibson camp, or in the 2015 line. A sub $1k l.p. studio with a Floyd rose/bigsby would probably get more traction than anything with a zero nut and robot tuners. Tutuapp, Appvalley, 3uTools

Sabbath and nirvana carry way more cache than van halen these days. Annie Clark (st Vincent) rocks a harmony bobkat...black keys, hozier, jack white = SIlvertone, airline, harmony.
Perhaps gibson should buy the harmony/silvertone name and make decent reissues?

I agree with you, New players mostly try to buy $1k guitars.

59Sunburst

As I was braking down the Traditional Pro III push/push active boost harness I found ("The Problem") a 1/16" wire filament attached to the inner side lug #3 of the neck tone pot. Lug #3 was slightly bent towards the center close to lug #2 and the filament would make contact with lug #2 causing noise in the up position only. I inspected the harness twice before with a magnification lens. The filament was so small and hidden that I only saw it after removing the harness and conducting my final inspection. Irrelevant at this point since I had EVERYTHING I needed to replace EVERYTHING. Fast forward to "done" and my 2015 Traditional Pro III sounds freaking amazing with Seymour Duncan 59's and a vintage 550k with vitamin Q PIO harness. IMO it sounds just like the VR 59 which I really like.

sherylbrock

As I was braking down the Traditional Pro III push/push active boost harness I found ("The Problem") a 1/16" wire filament attached to the inner side lug #3 of the neck tone pot. Lug #3 was slightly bent towards the center close to lug #2 and the filament would make contact with lug #2 causing noise in the up position only. I inspected the harness twice before with a magnification lens. The filament was so small and hidden that I only saw it after removing the harness and conducting my final appvalley inspection. Irrelevant at this point since I had EVERYTHING I needed to replace EVERYTHING. Fast forward to "done" and my 2015 Traditional Pro III sounds freaking amazing with Seymour Duncan 59's and a vintage 550k with vitamin Q PIO harness. IMO it sounds just like the VR 59 which I really like.

Thank you so much for you info 59Sunburst.

Regards
Sheryl

EFLOW

My 2015 SG Standard + upgrades, the 2015 is made like a '61 Ri, same body design and same body/neck joint. The inlays are real mother of pearl,

Upgrades:

•KLUSON Revolution tuners (GForce removed)

•Les Paul Historic trussrod cover

•GraphTech TUSQXL nut

•Creamtone Les Paul tenon cover

•5 ply 60° wide bevel Creamtone pickguard

•Wizz M-69 humbucker rings

•Historic Switchcraft tip, heavy knurled Switchcraft nut

•Gibson ABR-1 Bridge, with black adapters

•Vintage repro knobs (smooth reflector tops)

sg_st115.jpg

sg_st117.jpg

Freddy Robinson

I got a 2016 Gold top deluxe. "IT WILL NOT TUNE"! I can not play a G chord nor can i play a D chord in tune. And forget about an E chord...Way out! Love this guitar but i can not gig or record with it. Its not playable. i replaced the nut twice. I replaced the bridge with a Schaller roller bridge. i tried intonating off the 3rd fret instead of the 12th fret. I have tried everything to correct this problem.... Right now it has a compensated nut. Its a little better but still not right. I wonder why an over 100 year old well respected company like gibson would sell a product that needs so much more work before you can play it? To me $2600 is a lot of money. Can anybody make a suggestion?

mrbeasty

I got a 2016 Gold top deluxe. "IT WILL NOT TUNE"! I can not play a G chord nor can i play a D chord in tune. And forget about an E chord...Way out! Love this guitar but i can not gig or record with it. Its not playable. i replaced the nut twice. I replaced the bridge with a Schaller roller bridge. i tried intonating off the 3rd fret instead of the 12th fret. I have tried everything to correct this problem.... Right now it has a compensated nut. Its a little better but still not right. I wonder why an over 100 year old well respected company like gibson would sell a product that needs so much more work before you can play it? To me $2600 is a lot of money. Can anybody make a suggestion?

I am not sure how this relates to this thread about 2015 instruments ...?
Anyway, if the guitar is stable, it should tune.
If you put tension on the strings and the instrument cannot take it, there is definitely a problem. My first thoughts go to the bridge (is it wobbly?), then a truss-rod issue.

Freddy Robinson

I am not sure how this relates to this thread about 2015 instruments ...?
Anyway, if the guitar is stable, it should tune.
If you put tension on the strings and the instrument cannot take it, there is definitely a problem. My first thoughts go to the bridge (is it wobbly?), then a truss-rod issue.
I realize i'm 1 year off but thank you for your suggestion and i will check the bridge and truss rod

MarkJB

LPC.jpg

My 2015 Classic... Love this guitar! Yes, I did a headstock refin as I really didn't like the 'LesPaul100" and as I found I just wasn't using the boost I removed the PCB and converted to '50s wiring (CTS pots and Orangedrop Caps)... Its is still my number 1 and it won't ever get sold!