• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Couple of questions re bridge pickup volume/Maestro setup

electricfurnace

Further to my thread about dating my SG, had a couple of other questions if you don't mind.

Firstly, pickups:

Guitar has untouched solder joints and the original T-Top pickups. All wiring is original as are the pots. Now, even with the bridge pickup raised right up to the strings and the neck pickup wound down, the bridge pickup is ALOT quieter and weaker sounding than the neck pickup. I've stuck a multimeter on the end of a jack lead and the resistance of both pickups in ohms is appx 7.5ohms on the neck and 7.8ohms on the bridge. Any idea why my bridge is sounding weaker?

Secondly, trem setup:

with the Maestro trem, does any one have a pic of how the strings should 'sit'? There isn't much clearance between the bit of the Maestro nearest the bridge - the plate bit - and the strings at present - they are nearly touching the plate and a couple of them may be slightly touching if that makes sense. Back of the trem is lower than the front bit near the bridge. Also when I stick the arm back out of the way, the tip of the arm touches the back of the body. Is this normal?

Thirdly, bridge:

The bridge sits slightly at an angle - whats the best way of repairing this? Will it need re drilling/mounting?

Cheers
Alex

krapac

The pu is too close to the strings.
If the guitar is in tune, leave bridge as is.

Last edited:

MIKE LEAF

Regarding the second question, i think the angle is fine. Looks as it should on a vintage SG.

My 1971

P1070825.JPG