• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Aftermarket Pickups???

latestarter

I pulled the CustomBuckers in my 60th last night before a gig, as one does. I replaced them with an older set of ThroBak 101MXV+'s, double creams. As much as I think Gibson are improving in their pickups (PAF style), the ThroBaks are just such a significant lift in what I judge to be "good tone". Full spectrum, bigger bottom but still no woof, top end more similar to the CB's but with a slight refinement to upper registers, but importantly, the mid range honk that was missing in the CBs is found again with the TB's.

I left the harness factory. All I need now are some thin vintage style brass thumbwheels and I think I'm done.

HBV6DCr.jpg

El Gringo

I pulled the CustomBuckers in my 60th last night before a gig, as one does. I replaced them with an older set of ThroBak 101MXV+'s, double creams. As much as I think Gibson are improving in their pickups (PAF style), the ThroBaks are just such a significant lift in what I judge to be "good tone". Full spectrum, bigger bottom but still no woof, top end more similar to the CB's but with a slight refinement to upper registers, but importantly, the mid range honk that was missing in the CBs is found again with the TB's.

I left the harness factory. All I need now are some thin vintage style brass thumbwheels and I think I'm done.

HBV6DCr.jpg
I think we are thinking alike as I left the harness in and just replaced the CB's and after playing my R9 all weekend I have to say I am mighty impressed . I love how clear and articulate the neck pickup is and the bridge pickups sounds so strong and full of tone and just screams as I love it . The CB's sound very tame and dare I say anemic in comparison to the ThroBak's SLE-101 Plus .

CatManDoo88

All of the Throbak love in this thread has got me really curious about them. I know they have a Peter Green-style set and the Alnico 2 SLE-101's probably get pretty close to a Billy Gibbons/Pearly Gates sound. Does Throbak have any models that nail the Clapton/Beano type sound? It seems strange that they are the only big PAF clone maker that doesn't do a Beano-type pickup set.

latestarter

I’m always tempted to try others (and have done so in the past), but I just really enjoy the Thro’s...so I probably need to focus more on playing than tweaking. I did a tone clip years ago of my (hot) PAFs in an R7 vs the Throbaks. There was nothing in it. Wish I could find it...

enharmonic

I have used and like (no particular order):

Throbak DT102's
Arcane 58V's
Tom Holmes H450/455
Wolfetone Marshallhead II's
Rewind JPPost 72's
Wildwood-Spec Custombuckers

I just picked up a set of VIP's Honeybucker/Honeybucker+ to check out based on the description and a few clips I've heard. Might be a little while before I get to them, though.