• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Story of My 1969 Les Paul Custom

moonweasel

The "Old Bastard" may smell bad and look like it was abused a bit, but I love it. Right down to the late 60's, nickel Grovers that have been on there for decades. Here's a link to the story of my guitar and a few more pics:

http://www.latesixtieslespauls.com/article_559xxx.asp

Here's a picture:

thumb_big559xxx.jpg

Reno_1ted

Love this story and the guitar is a beauty. A LSLP custom is certainly on my wish list.

Out of interest do you prefer the 'dirty' look with the finger marks etc? A lot of people prefer to keep the old sweat and matt look to their old guitars. I always prefer to clean and polish up a bit and reveal any checking. Obviously not buffing the life out of it !

Of course to each their own. Just interested. :)

moonweasel

Hey Reno!

Thanks man!

I understand why some like to buff/polish vintage guitars, I dig just leaving them alone. They are what they are, especially when its finish is as played in as my guitar. Also, it's finish is really fragile, especially on the back, buffing it could easily chip finish off too. THis particular guitar was in a particularly humid climate, and stored in attics no less, in LOUISIANA. I think the guitar reacted a little with the case's lining. Im not even sure it COULD be buffed out. :) You wouldn't have believed how it smelled when I found it.

It's a survivor, neck was arrow straight even after being in attics.

Reno_1ted

Hey Reno!

Thanks man!

I understand why some like to buff/polish vintage guitars, I dig just leaving them alone. They are what they are, especially when its finish is as played in as my guitar. Also, it's finish is really fragile, especially on the back, buffing it could easily chip finish off too. THis particular guitar was in a particularly humid climate, and stored in attics no less, in LOUISIANA. I think the guitar reacted a little with the case's lining. Im not even sure it COULD be buffed out. :) You wouldn't have believed how it smelled when I found it.

It's a survivor, neck was arrow straight even after being in attics.

I remember you posting before saying how bad the smell was!

I understand that totally. It's one of those split camps I think. Personal preference which is what guitar ownership is all about. I just wasn't sure if it was laziness. ;)

I've never found it gives an old finish that 'new' look (which is good, as you say old guitars are just that). It tends to just bring out the aged look. I the key is to not overdo it.

I think even a fragile finish 'could' take a clean and a very light polish. I use that virtuoso that people harp on about. It's very good stuff.

moonweasel

Its fragile in the chippable sense, at the ends where there are dings etc. A bit of belt rash too. Virtuoso is good stuff, you're right!

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
Hey Stephen,

I remember that guitar. Still as beautiful as ever.:dude: I love the worn look of LPCs! Mine has the same patina.

Would you like me to update the database with the details?

Cheers,
Bryan

moonweasel

Hey Stephen,

I remember that guitar. Still as beautiful as ever.:dude: I love the worn look of LPCs! Mine has the same patina.

Would you like me to update the database with the details?

Cheers,
Bryan

Thanks for the complient! She is still hanging in there. :) It's a 559, 1pc, LT, no dotted, April '69. Oh, and it still smells bad even though it has been out of its filthy original case for 11 years now. :)