• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

J.D. Simo's first lesson produced exclusively for the Les Paul Forum!

Groover

Astounding addition to the LPF :hank Many thanks for JD taking the time out to bring his enthusiasm and love of playing to the forum :salude

Off now to polish up my vibrato......now where's that turd :laugh2:

spidey

Great! Always a pleasure to watch and listen to JD. Jack Pearson is great too!!!

One quick question if I may - JD, were you using your Super Lead for this? Stunning tone!

Thanks JD.

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
Here's another video of J.D., which is a nice compliment to the one he did for us, where he discusses his right hand technique. It fits in very nicely with our lesson on vibrato and phrasing.:jim

Getting to hear him play a 58 V is just icing on the cake!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SWnBlLN2BMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Minibucker

Great player and personality. I wish I was local to JD so I could volunteer to produce the vids.

JJ Blair

I love JD's point about phrasing. When I was a teenager, this guy Dave Sharkey, who used to play with Leon Russell, told me to think about sax players. He said that they have to take a breath between licks.

Also, it's interesting that he's a finger vibrato guy. I've always been a finger or wrist vibrato guy, but I'm consciously trying to make a move to being a forearm vibrato guy, where the fulcrum is your elbow. It's a little slower and sexier, like Mickk Ralphs on "Rock Steady."

T.Allen

My take away from the second video is that drummers are a pain in the ass. :rofl

Just kidding folks. That was awesome JD!

RAG7890

I love JD's point about phrasing. When I was a teenager, this guy Dave Sharkey, who used to play with Leon Russell, told me to think about sax players. He said that they have to take a breath between licks.

Also, it's interesting that he's a finger vibrato guy. I've always been a finger or wrist vibrato guy, but I'm consciously trying to make a move to being a forearm vibrato guy, where the fulcrum is your elbow. It's a little slower and sexier, like Mickk Ralphs on "Rock Steady."

Just listen to John Coltrane play & you'll understand all about phrasing. Great advice from Dave Sharkey.

Thanks for the great 1st lesson video JD. :)

:salude

Sct13

What I see in his playng is a confidence that is a very important in projecting the notes as an emotion.

That vibrato, the lighter right hand and the authoritve left hand, all learned to play together well.

He does it well.

Thanx again JD...:peace2