• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

J.D. Simo's first lesson produced exclusively for the Les Paul Forum!

lp59pete

If anyone gets a chance to see Simo play, don't miss it. The band is awesome.

WheelchairBandit

Great stuff as always JD! Something you alluded to in the video that I think more folks need to wrap their head around is that there is NO substitute for having the guitar in your hands as much as possible.

Brian.

zoso714

Outstanding! Clapton once said he wanted his soloing to sound like a sax player. Very inspirational J.D., keep the faith!

Slashburst

I am so proud of being part of this community !
So many information and an artist like J.D Simo taking his valuable time to pass his knowledge on!
There is no other place in the internet like here!

Congrats CDaughtry, TW59 and MikeSlub, for what you have done this forum.

Cheers from a distant land!(Brazil)

LowMach

What a treat. Thank you!

Looking forward to the new Simo release. That trio rocks!

Sct13

Yea I have been thinking about the Sax Player Anology, Its very true that phrasing has to have room, I spend too much energy playing fast and it comes out noise. I have to think differently about breathing. And you cant think without breathing....

dez

Very cool and thanks. Hope to see the band in NJ sometime (and hopefully when I'm not gigging!).

Sct13

I can't wait to hear it. My drummer hasn't given back the first one, he's wore it out.

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
I'm down in Nashville right now with Nicky at the Gibson Custom Shop, getting the CC model squared away. J.D.'s been with me much of the time. Here's J.D. putting Nicky through her paces. He's playing her through a 68 Marshall Super Lead.:dude:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1DLs0T6lD9w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xtJ7WwALLlg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here he is playing Nicky through a 45/100 Metropoulos.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S0uYQE66qVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

j45

Wonderful and especially thoughtful lesson. Haven't listened to the second yet but will. "We are what we listen to " goes deeper than it sounds. Learn to be a student AND encyclopedia of the history that evolved into what we have now. I could go on about "vibrato and phrasing" as well but im sure the lessons will stay on track. My biggest wake up call came in the 80's after a decade of very good financial success (for a journeyman sideman) and also dove deep into putting much stock in technical education of Western music theory, technique, etc... I ended up working lots but at the same time started hating music as if it were manual labor. I sense from what JD said that he is still able to "hear" music without taking the time to evaluate and place it across the grid of pitch, meter, and technical prowess,some use to "synthesize" music...and in the split second of time it takes our brain to do this...we completely miss the substance of the music itself. If anyone has bought into or fallen into that trap as I once did...remember what it was that drew you into music as a child, the escape into a place that the vibe of sounds and melody create, not whether the pitch, meter, technique is perfect...music is a continuum that cannot be restricted to 12 tones and a division of math for timing. "Its like talking"....you simply communicate what you want to say and you'll have a much better chance of reaching the listener...regardless of what is "technically sound. " Just my 2 cents and look forward to more from JD.

Koss1959

Great video. I've always said, show me a guitarist with great vibrato and I'll show you a great guitarist. Vibrato is an often overlooked technique which is a shame as it's such a personal and often identifiable part of a guitarist's style.

Michael Minnis

I'm down in Nashville right now with Nicky at the Gibson Custom Shop, getting the CC model squared away. J.D.'s been with me much of the time. Here's J.D. putting Nicky through her paces. He's playing her through a 68 Marshall Super Lead.:dude:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1DLs0T6lD9w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xtJ7WwALLlg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here he is playing Nicky through a 45/100 Metropoulos.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S0uYQE66qVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome, Charlie. You continue to have one cool experience after another. Enjoy!

Stoj

Very Cool, I enjoyed this Vid - Great idea Charles & thanks JD for offering :salude