• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

J.D. Simo's first lesson produced exclusively for the Les Paul Forum!

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
I'm VERY excited to present to you, as promised, J.D. Simo's first(in a series of what we hope will be many!) lesson, produced exclusively for the Les Paul Forum.
First of all, let's all thank J.D. for taking the time out for us. It is REALLY appreciated.
We're going to eventually figure out where we are going to permanently house these lessons, but for the time being, I figured....let's put it here!!!:jim

Without further ado....J.D. Simo!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kadP02FD5Fo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ourmaninthenorth

That's my sort of tutorial, fantastic. Thanks J.D. really appreciated and enjoyed. :peace2 :salude

T.Allen

That was a very good tutorial! The fundamentals and how to improve upon them.

Thank you JD and Charlie for bringing this to the forum! I look forward to seeing more! :salude

Last edited:

BenScarr

Great video and sound advice JD! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this and to the guys here for making it happen :dude:

I can't wait for the next one!

sikoniko

Thanks for taking the time to put this together J.D.!

I agree with your comment about phrasing. Sometimes learning to not play is harder than learning to play.

skhan007

Excellent!! Thanks, JD!!! Looking forward to each installment.

Michael Minnis

Thanks, J.D. and Charlie. Very cool. A wonderful, musical addition to the new, revitalized Les Paul Forum.

duaneflowers

Awesome tutorial! Perfect blend of talking and playing... brilliant explanation of your take on phrasing theory with excellent practical examples to back it up. Constantly build those muscles and listen to/emulate great music.... great advice! Horns are great to listen to, especially sax, as they are right in the middle of that dynamic expressive human vocal range and the more limited guitar fretboard range (unless you are using a slide... which is why Duane loved it so much). :jim

Thanks so much for the contribution! :salude

Last edited:

JD Simo

Thanks everyone. My pleasure!! This hopefully is a topic that can be of some help. I was having dinner last night with Jack Pearson and we talked about how much we've worked and continue to try and improve this aspect of our playing and I figured it was a good place to start. Thanks for all the love guys! Hopefully I'll see some of you on this next upcoming SIMO tour which starts Tuesday.
Peace :peace2

Ad_02Std

Some great advice there J.D.

Thanks for taking the time to make the video.