• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Duane Allman's ES-335

mistersnappy

Sorry if this has been posted before: Wildwood Guitars has two videos of folks playing Duane Allman's cherry 335. Anyone know anything about this? I'm a pretty geeky Allmaniac and have never heard of this guitar surfacing. Pretty sweet! I suspect it *might* be the one he played in the Allman Joys '65'-'66 era...:hmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NNEJJMePDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTKMoSXegHg

ALLMANS_zps55b06e5e.jpg

TM1

Nice, But I'd like to see actual documentation that it was Duane's. I seem to recall that he had an ES-345 in Cherry as well w/Bigsby.
But in all the years of helping out guys like Randy Poe & Alan Paul,none of the Hourglass or Allman Joy guitars really ever came up in discussion.. I know Gregg had a Tele for a while. He tried one night back in the mid `90's to talk me into giving him my Mahogany Tele.. I told him Nice Try big brother..

chuckNC

Provenance would have to be solid with that 335, as there doesn't seem to be anything non-stock or distinctive about it from pics I've seen.
But in all the years of helping out guys like Randy Poe & Alan Paul,none of the Hourglass or Allman Joy guitars really ever came up in discussion.
One guitar I'd love to see/know more about is the SB fathead strat that he painted the guard black on. I've seen pics of it (still with white guard) back in Hourglass days. He'd painted the guard around the time he got to Muscle Shoals, it would seem. That one couldn't have disappeared into the woodwork completely. Somebody has to know something about it.

Bob Womack

Are you talking about the ES-335 that he used to record the first ABB album?

Bob

TM1

That ES-335 he used in the Allman Joys and early Hourglass disappeared by the time he went to Muscle Shoals in '68.
I have seen the Strat that was Duane's and the L.P. Jr. that Delaney had. Duane got the Goldtop in March of 1969 and used that for almost everything the Bros. did until Sept of 1970 when he got the Cherryburst. The only ES-335 that I know he used was a sunburst and that was for a very short time. I know for a fact from Butchy that Duane only used the GT on the 1st ABB record, so if some says he used a semi, I seriously doubt that.

Bob Womack

I think I've seen a panoramic pic from the first album sessions where Duane was using the ES-335. It would make sense because some of those tones were just a little thinner and sweeter than his LP tones.

Bob

mistersnappy

I think the dot neck was given to Scott Boyer by Donna and was subsequently stolen.

TM1

I'd love to see that as, in my opinion (and a few others too) Butch's memory can be a little sparse on some stuff..LOL. Well, if he did keep it, it certainly didn't get used very much. I know in 69/70 the amount of guitars they took with them was basically what we saw on stage and Duane & Dickey both carried acoustics they'd play in the hotels/motels and in the Winbag.

oldog

In Galadrielle Allman's book ,Please be with Me, she says Donna loaned an ES 335 belonging to Duane to Tommy Talton after Duane's death. The guitar was stolen from Tommy on the road so there would be no provenance and legally I would think that guitar still belongs to Donna and Galadrielle

TM1

I know Dickey had a ES-345 around the time the band got together. He used it a lot in the “Second Coming” days. Could be that Duane used it on some tracks(?)...

skygreen

In Galadrielle Allman's book ,Please be with Me, she says Donna loaned an ES 335 belonging to Duane to Tommy Talton after Duane's death. The guitar was stolen from Tommy on the road so there would be no provenance and legally I would think that guitar still belongs to Donna and Galadrielle

nice catch - Galadrielle also mentions in the book though (ch.24) that the stolen ES 335 was a '59 sunburst, so probably not the red one in question.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Sorry if this has been posted before: Wildwood Guitars has two videos of folks playing Duane Allman's cherry 335. Anyone know anything about this? I'm a pretty geeky Allmaniac and have never heard of this guitar surfacing. Pretty sweet! I suspect it *might* be the one he played in the Allman Joys '65'-'66 era...:hmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NNEJJMePDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTKMoSXegHg

ALLMANS_zps55b06e5e.jpg

It looks to me, like the crown inlay is the earlier, high location. The guitar in the vids has the crown in the later, lower spot on the headstock.

skinnersongs

saw Duane twice live... once in North Carolina playing i believe the cherry burst in"71 with Allman Bros. Dickie w/Goldtop ...then in Cambridge, Mass. with Delaney and Bonnie... Duane and King Curtis Bookending the stage at Harvard Stadium summer "70 Schaefer Fest $2.50 a ticket right in front he was playing slide all night on a greenish psychedelic painted Strat with rosewood board(i believe it was his Muscle Shoals Strat) unreal tone and doing all the Clapton licks from the D&B w/Clapton on tour lp on slide a Strat... he would stand on one leg and kinda sway'round and King Curtis on the other far end answering each other with these soulful lines winding in and out of the songs while D&B sang...unreal, best music this 15 yr.old white boy ever heard...gotta friend who saw the bros. in '71 around the same time and Duane played all night on the opening bands Guild Starfire V painted like an American flag he said he sounded just like he always did incredible...best of the best and gone at 24...i was just 5 yrs. into playing but those were the days that clinched it for me still playing and loving that real deal blues and soul serenades...GOD BLESS and keep playing!!...