The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

Duane Allman's ES-335

Sorry if this has been posted before: Wildwood Guitars has two videos of folks playing Duane Allman's cherry 335. Anyone know anything about this? I'm a pretty geeky Allmaniac and have never heard of this guitar surfacing. Pretty sweet! I suspect it *might* be the one he played in the Allman Joys '65'-'66 era...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NNEJJMePDs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTKMoSXegHg

"That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Re: Duane Allman's ES-335

Nice, But I'd like to see actual documentation that it was Duane's. I seem to recall that he had an ES-345 in Cherry as well w/Bigsby.
    But in all the years of helping out guys like Randy Poe & Alan Paul,none of the Hourglass or Allman Joy guitars really ever came up in discussion.. I know Gregg had a Tele for a while. He tried one night back in the mid `90's to talk me into giving him my Mahogany Tele.. I told him Nice Try big brother..

Provenance would have to be solid with that 335, as there doesn't seem to be anything non-stock or distinctive about it from pics I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    But in all the years of helping out guys like Randy Poe & Alan Paul,none of the Hourglass or Allman Joy guitars really ever came up in discussion.
    One guitar I'd love to see/know more about is the SB fathead strat that he painted the guard black on. I've seen pics of it (still with white guard) back in Hourglass days. He'd painted the guard around the time he got to Muscle Shoals, it would seem. That one couldn't have disappeared into the woodwork completely. Somebody has to know something about it.
    If it sounds good, it is good.

Nice, But I'd like to see actual documentation that it was Duane's..
    Amen to that.
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Les Paul Forum Member Bob Womack's Avatar

Are you talking about the ES-335 that he used to record the first ABB album?

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

My little site:
    THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

That ES-335 he used in the Allman Joys and early Hourglass disappeared by the time he went to Muscle Shoals in '68.
    I have seen the Strat that was Duane's and the L.P. Jr. that Delaney had. Duane got the Goldtop in March of 1969 and used that for almost everything the Bros. did until Sept of 1970 when he got the Cherryburst. The only ES-335 that I know he used was a sunburst and that was for a very short time. I know for a fact from Butchy that Duane only used the GT on the 1st ABB record, so if some says he used a semi, I seriously doubt that.

[QUOTE=TM1;2593455]The only ES-335 that I know he used was a sunburst and that was for a very short time.

This one?

"I can't sing,
    I ain't pretty,
    And my legs,
    Are thin."

Is that Amy Poehler in the polka dots?
    Old Wood Is Good!

Les Paul Forum Member Bob Womack's Avatar

I think I've seen a panoramic pic from the first album sessions where Duane was using the ES-335. It would make sense because some of those tones were just a little thinner and sweeter than his LP tones.

Bob
    "It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
    Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

My little site:
    THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by style0 View Post
    Is that Amy Poehler in the polka dots?
    Unlikely, since she wasn't born when that picture was snapped.

I think the dot neck was given to Scott Boyer by Donna and was subsequently stolen.

I'd love to see that as, in my opinion (and a few others too) Butch's memory can be a little sparse on some stuff..LOL. Well, if he did keep it, it certainly didn't get used very much. I know in 69/70 the amount of guitars they took with them was basically what we saw on stage and Duane & Dickey both carried acoustics they'd play in the hotels/motels and in the Winbag.

[QUOTE=chasenblues;2593482]
    The only ES-335 that I know he used was a sunburst and that was for a very short time.

This one?

Duane w/335 is worth a bump

In Galadrielle Allman's book ,Please be with Me, she says Donna loaned an ES 335 belonging to Duane to Tommy Talton after Duane's death. The guitar was stolen from Tommy on the road so there would be no provenance and legally I would think that guitar still belongs to Donna and Galadrielle

I know Dickey had a ES-345 around the time the band got together. He used it a lot in the “Second Coming” days. Could be that Duane used it on some tracks(?)...