• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson sg Standard 1969/70

Kris Ford

Cool! As I say I've always suspected 73. :)

So no 74s with RW boards? I've seen a lot listed as 74. Unless 74 is like the 68 thing for Norlins. :spabout
Thinking not..as all of the '74 Limited Edition SGs (which were the only ones they made, there weren't regular SG Standards made concurrently..) had late '73 pots in them..so they were most likely '73's or mid '75's before the oval decal SN#s.

It's the '72 that is the "68" of Norlins..they're ALL '73s like yours...and even ebony board '74-5s I've seen called '72s..the TRUE '72 Standard has no cutaway bevels and a slightly different shaped pickguard..and ALL had Bigsbys until '73...and there are not many of these true '72s around..

(Sorry Britbender!! We went off on a SG tangent..just goes to show we NEED a Norlin era section of the LPF!:eek:la )
Some folks see the pot code YEAR and just assume it means when the guitar was made..regardless of week..

moonweasel

Norlin tangents! :) :) :)

Productive conversation, so let's leave it, but I suppose it is best to keep solidly Norlin stuff (post 69/70 transition) to the the proper sub-forum. Weird, never thought I'd be in a position here at the LPF to have to ask that, I hope I don't rub anyone the wrong way doing so. No offense intended. I dig Norlins too.

---

Back to SG's, still slightly dreaming of one. These threads don't help. :)

moonweasel

I guess 'brown' doesn't sell. 'Walnut' sound less like 'turd' :laugh2:

hmmm. Knowing guitar companies, they would try to make brown/turd sound exciting, like Pelham Blue, or Sherwood Green etc. So, Turdilicious. or Bowel Brown. :rofl

Reno_1ted

Very interesting and informative Kris. :salude

Productive conversation, so let's leave it, but I suppose it is best to keep solidly Norlin stuff (post 69/70 transition) to the the proper sub-forum. Weird, never thought I'd be in a position here at the LPF to have to ask that, I hope I don't rub anyone the wrong way doing so. No offense intended.

None taken. :) I think we kept it broadly on topic. It's my fault for posting the 74 as an example of walnut being cherry. Here is my 65 to restore balance and order. As you were gentlemen.

773488FA-5690-405C-B3FE-5F6D22949A28-4068-00000729E00BE1A5_zpsf70b5781.jpg

Kris Ford

I "think" I can maybe see Walnut now..the comparison shot with the '68 makes it look more apparent..:hmm