• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

"Minty" turned up in Germany

talonmm

Re: "Minty" turned up in Germany.....here is

Hi there,
I am the owner. The guitar is in daily use in my studio. It has NOT been buffed or anything. The special lighting in my studio caused a gradual fade over the years. I prefer the ice tea to the strong red. I have 2 58s, 2 59s and 2 60s.Some of them are still very strongly red, but the two I use daily(58,59)are ice tea'd.
Best Regards,

I have a 59 with red still in the guitar. I was not sure if indoor lighting could fade the guitar.

What kind of lighting caused the fade?

I know here in the US they have had to change light bulbs to be more energy compliant. Anyone know what kind of lights to avoid?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

I have a 59 with red still in the guitar. I was not sure if indoor lighting could fade the guitar.

What kind of lighting caused the fade?

I know here in the US they have had to change light bulbs to be more energy compliant. Anyone know what kind of lights to avoid?

The fading is caused by UV light. Outside, that's the sun.
Inside it is fluorescent light bulbs [one of the "new" types of bulbs].

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

hey mr tw59.hope all's well.all the best from jurr munney.....and, also started falling in love with 56 Jr's. Got my first one,very cool.....

Juniors are also very cool!

Still, would love to see photos of the other Bursts and the rest of your collection. :salude

j45

Kerry, are you thinking of burst Howard Leese sold through FA? It had that characteristic from my recollection.

maybe that was it.... it does have that pattern to a strong degree

talonmm

The fading is caused by UV light. Outside, that's the sun.
Inside it is fluorescent light bulbs [one of the "new" types of bulbs].

Thanks!

I imagine fluorescent light bulbs fade at a slower rate than the sun.

So I went onto google and see that they do causing fading at a much slower rate.

I also learned that only LEDs, produce zero ultraviolet light, and the story went onto mention that LED's completely protect fabrics and art from fading.

I'm going to search for some LED lights in my studio asap!

CptZar

This kind of fading can be done by fluorescent roomlight? I would have thought, the UV light part is much smaller. Anybody ever got sunburned by roomlight?

Last edited: