• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

So, tell me more about SG's!

moonweasel

I owned, for a short time, an SG-X (Salmon Pink) as part of a flip deal, but I haven't spent any quality time with them. I did have a Melody Maker (64), so I have some experience with thinner bodies.

So, generally speaking, what are the sonic differences between Single-Cut / Maple Topped Les Pauls and classic SG's?

Thanks!

Progrocker111

SGs have usually more mids and kinda more throaty tone to me, often more percussive and aggressive too. LPs have a bit better sustain (especially above 12th fret) and more balanced tone generally.

moonweasel

Thanks prog!

Do you know if they jumped back to a wider nut at the same time that LSLP's came out? (as they have a wide nut) Thanks

latestarter

I had a '72 Deluxe SG and the nut width was 1 10/16ths....so in between. Yet my '70 Standard was absolutely 1 9/16ths.

MIKE LEAF

In the 1978 Gibson catalogue the SG standard is told to have 1 9/16 inch nut width.

In the 1980 catalogue its specified as 1 11/16.

I had a 79 STD back in those days bought new and from what i can remember it hade the wider nut.

Kris Ford

In the 1978 Gibson catalogue the SG standard is told to have 1 9/16 inch nut width.

In the 1980 catalogue its specified as 1 11/16.

I had a 79 STD back in those days bought new and from what i can remember it hade the wider nut.

Yep, the '74 Prog posted (erroneously listed as a '73, as most of these ebony board LE Standards are) most assuredly have the 1 9/16 nut width..probably just feels wider due to the lack of binding.
My '71 SG Deluxe and '76 SG Standard have the 1 9/16 width...

Progrocker111

Yep, the '74 Prog posted (erroneously listed as a '73, as most of these ebony board LE Standards are) most assuredly have the 1 9/16 nut width..probably just feels wider due to the lack of binding.
My '71 SG Deluxe and '76 SG Standard have the 1 9/16 width...

Interesting info. Im have better Norlin era Les Pauls education than with Norlin era SGs. Never owned 70s SG, only played some. :)

Kris Ford

Skinny is A-Ok with me! I can transition between the wider and narrow with absolutely no problems!
A mug shot of the above mentioned of mine..:yah