• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

PETE TOWNSHEND 1964 SG SPECIAL

Reno_1ted

It sounds cheesy but Pete isn't a lead or tradditional rhythm guitarist. His style is so unique. I remember watching the footage from the isle of wight and thinking "wow. I've never seen anyone play like this before". He blew me away and I've been a fan ever since.

The variety of tones he gets from the p90s on the rock n roll circus video is sensational.

Ad_02Std

It sounds cheesy but Pete isn't a lead or tradditional rhythm guitarist. His style is so unique. I remember watching the footage from the isle of wight and thinking "wow. I've never seen anyone play like this before". He blew me away and I've been a fan ever since.

I think a lot of that had to do with him having to work around a rhythm section that both played lead. The Who were totally upside-down and backwards as a band, but it just worked so well.

chuckNC

I think a lot of that had to do with him having to work around a rhythm section that both played lead. The Who were totally upside-down and backwards as a band, but it just worked so well.
I agree. There's an interplay between the three of them that works.

And put me down for liking Pete's Leeds-era sound the best too.

Reno_1ted

Great point. Agree 100%. The freedom they all allowed each other live and yet a very tight outfit. Unique to say the least.

frazettafan

Was that Pete or a session man ??

I mean the 'Live at Leeds' version so it was Peter T. for sure. He kicks off that solo with this great lick and and whenever I get to jam something in 'E' I always try to crowbar some version of it in there. :peace2

JJ Blair

Pete's playing has been very influential for me. I started nicking his lead style as a teenager.

At my bar gig / jam this week, we did Sparks and 5:15. I never tire of playing those, and the audience always loves it. As long as we have the drummer on stage that does a great Moon, it's a great fucking time.

And yes, Leeds is amazing, and I always contend that it might be the best live album of all time.

frazettafan

And yes, Leeds is amazing, and I always contend that it might be the best live album of all time.

It is a truly great album but for me "Strangers in the Night", with the greatest ever rock guitarists pristine guitar work all over it will always assume that place. :couch

guitplayer

My favorite tone is on Magic Bus live. The one on VH 1 all the time.
At the end he is next to the drums and pushes something down with his hand(s)? anybody know what hes doing there.

Ad_02Std

Was that Pete or a session man ??

I saw a very recent interview with Jimmy Page where he confirmed that he was bought in to play on that recording. I think he said he only played some twelve string rhythm on it to fill out the mix. He attributed all the up front parts to Townshend.

Ad_02Std

I mean the 'Live at Leeds' version so it was Peter T. for sure. He kicks off that solo with this great lick and and whenever I get to jam something in 'E' I always try to crowbar some version of it in there. :peace2

I know the exact lick you mean. That one always stood out to me too.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
It is a truly great album but for me "Strangers in the Night", with the greatest ever rock guitarists pristine guitar work all over it will always assume that place. :couch

Hey, that moment when Hendrix quotes "Strangers in the Night" in his Monterrey Pop performance in the middle of "Wild Thing" and taps out the melody with just his left hand was pretty awesome. :spabout

http://youtu.be/sjftYOqtFVM?t=1m14s

Xpensive Wino

Ha! Number 1 hit in '67, as I recall.

Sinatra despised the song, calling it "a piece of shit" and "the worst fucking song that I have ever heard"...:hmm

Summers, Anthony; Swan, Robbyn. Sinatra: The Life. Random House Digital, Inc., New York, 2006, p. 334