• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Memphis "MHS" pickups Ugh..

latestarter

I have had many ES variants over the decades. 335, 345 and 355's. The two that I've kept are a long guard 1960 335 and a 2016 345 which has the MHS pickups. Although not as clear as the PAF's in the '60, they are fine approximation and I wouldn't change them unless I had a known good pair of PAF's to replace them with.

JLee

I swapped the magnets in my MHS/‘63 ES335RI to Throbak A5. Can’t remember which A5s. Also swapped to Throbak covers. Much, much better now. More clarity, a bit more push and tighter sounding.

Mars Hall

Still getting acquainted with my 58 ES335 VOS but find no fault with the MHS pickups. I do recognize, as some say, that they sound dark. My Blackface Fender amps don’t seem to mind with plenty of high end chime to offset the darkness.

C-4

I, as others in this thread, picked up a new ES 335 '63 RI with the MHS pickups, in vintage sunburst.

The guitar sustains incredibly well with the nylon saddles and nylon nut. The pickups are clear, articulate and sound fantastic in the guitar.

It did need to be re-plekked, which I had my luthier take care of. The guitar is now effortless to play, and responds just incredibly well.

mdubya

I have MHS buckers in a 2018 '59 ES 335 RI and in a 2015 ES LP Goldtop.

In the '59 RI, the MHS are not too bright in the bridge, not too dark in the neck. They have a very dry character, which I like. They are very Goldilocks "just right" to me. They have just enough treble to cut through while being fairly warm without mud. Throaty might be a good description.

By comparison, the MHS in the 2015 ES LP scream; they are loud and brash and push the treble envelope pretty hard. This is not a bad thing, but certainly a contrast to the '59 RI. I tend to play this one with the volumes and tones rolled back more than the 335. Curiously, when I am going for a tone, this ES LP gets selected more often than not. Neck pickup, volume rolled down, tone rolled down a little, even. Edge of breakup 18 watt Marshall with a little bit of reverb and a little bit of tremolo produces pulsing, fat, rich, semi-clean, semi-dirty rhythm tones to die for. Think of a Deluxe Reverb voiced like a classic Marshall.

The ES LP is my singular LP style guitar, so it gets grabbed for Kossoff, Page, early JB, and PG. Mostly for its rhythm tones. It has great lead tones, too, but the rhythm tones are why I turn to it, primarily.

El Gringo

After reading all of the posts in this thread all I have to say is www.Throbak.com The makers IMHO the best pickups, magnets, pickup covers, etc. I know because I have them in 2 of my Les Paul's (SLE-101 Plus) and had my Patent sticker # T-Tops covered by Gold ThroBak covers and also will have my other 2 Les Paul's getting Throbak SLE-101 Plus as well as a long shaft harness with Bumble Bees and 500k pots as well as any future Gibson's will get ThroBak .

renderit

I don't know if they changed the formula but I have NO complaints about those in my '58. I think they sound spectacular! 2016 model.

36151371083_2a35d3e8f1_z.jpg

AA00475Bassman

I don't know if they changed the formula but I have NO complaints about those in my '58. I think they sound spectacular! 2016 model.

36151371083_2a35d3e8f1_z.jpg
I love this guitar , so jealous , would have bought one if available when I bought my 345 . I think mine is a 2015 love the MHS pickups , the pickups really sold the guitar !

mdubya

I am glad I am not the only one.

I had to pull the ES LP out to confirm its good tones last night and I haven't been able to put it down since. :hank

Last edited:

latestarter

I ended up selling my “keeper” 345 with the MHS (I should know better than to call it a keeper). It was to fund a mid 60’s 335.

I did do an A/B between the ‘60, ‘66 and the newer 345. The MHS were hotter than the PAFs in terms of driving my amps, yet the pafs had more resistance. The T Tops have their own thing going on so not really a comparison. Regardless, i remain impressed with the MHS

Trans-Am

Not too over the top with the MHS pups. However the Classic 57 & 57 Plus is a great match for a set as an OEM on some of the ES 335 lines.

I would say the MHS would be in between the two mentioned above:hmm