• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Original Abr Bridge/TP or Pigtail

Progear

Keep Original '68 Chrome Abr/Nylon Saddles and Tail Piece or swap in Pigtail ABR AND TP

What do you guys think sound wise ?

Inquiring minds would like to know.. :yah

Reno_1ted

Keep Original '68 Chrome Abr/Nylon Saddles and Tail Piece or swap in Pigtail ABR AND TP

What do you guys think sound wise ?

Inquiring minds would like to know.. :yah

What are you looking to achieve? Just improvements in sound or preserving original's condition.... ?

Personally I prefer metal saddles but they can be swopped anyway on the original bridge.

I'm not sure much is gained in swopping the tailpiece unless you top wrap and want to preserve the original.

Kris Ford

why ? can you dive a little deeper ?

I'm too much of a purist, and even if the originals are unserviceable, I would source era correct Gibson parts.
Plus, regardless of what minor, if any, tonal gains you may or may not get, it will, good, bad, or otherwise change the original voice and character of this fine and rare guitar...

Reno_1ted

I'm too much of a purist, and even if the originals are unserviceable, I would source era correct Gibson parts.
Plus, regardless of what minor, if any, tonal gains you may or may not get, it will, good, bad, or otherwise change the original voice and character of this fine and rare guitar...

I agree, but if something is totally, easily reversible and can always be returned back to original condition and original natural sound (so not refinish or routing) why not try stuff out. If you prefer it you have a better playing experience and you always have the option of going back :)

The same can be said for preserving condition for resale. If there is no detectable difference in sound you can wear out the repro part instead. IF no difference in sound of course.

Three13

I know this puts me into the heretic camp, but I've swapped my ABR-1s out for aged Callahams in all of my vintage LPs and SGs (I save the originals, obviously). Every guitar sounds better to my ear (in the case of my '53/'57 and '53/'59 conversions, three of us noticed an improvement).

Everything can go back to 100% original in the time it takes to set the guitar up, very few people can tell the Callahams are unoriginal (unless they are holding the guitar/know what to look for), and the expensive originals are protected from wear and tear (the pot metal sometimes sags on OG ABR-1s, rendering them useless).

Reno_1ted

I know this puts me into the heretic camp, but I've swapped my ABR-1s out for aged Callahams in all of my vintage LPs and SGs (I save the originals, obviously). Every guitar sounds better to my ear (in the case of my '53/'57 and '53/'59 conversions, three of us noticed an improvement).

Everything can go back to 100% original in the time it takes to set the guitar up, very few people can tell the Callahams are unoriginal (unless they are holding the guitar/know what to look for), and the expensive originals are protected from wear and tear (the pot metal sometimes sags on OG ABR-1s, rendering them useless).

Nothing heretic about that IMHO. You get a better sounding guitar to your ears and enjoy it more, the parts get preserved and it's back on anytime for resale etc.

Having said that it still isn't going to turn them back into '53 goldtops. :laugh2: :)

Three13

Nothing heretic about that IMHO. You get a better sounding guitar to your ears and enjoy it more, the parts get preserved and it's back on anytime for resale etc.

Having said that it still isn't going to turn them back into '53 goldtops. :laugh2: :)

Both of my donor guitars had been partially converted before I got them, so they was nothing that would turn them back into original '53s.

Jumping@Shadows

Your chrome tailpiece may well be a '50s 'burst spec short seam recycled in the '60s (I have a few stashed) so it doesn't come any 'better' than that, plus the Pat No bridge is a good unit beyond the intrinsic factory oddity of the fretboard radius. I have a Callaham ABR I use to set up guitars and it's a great unit, but I prefer the softer attack of vintage YMMV :)

latestarter

Firstly, the Pigtail stuff is top notch, so good choice.

I say if it is all reversible mod away...I do!

moonweasel

My ear is no where near as sensitive as most on this forum, so I can't say you would get 2 or 3 hundred bucks worth of an improvement for doing it.

As previsouly stated, the stop bars are already ideal. I use a modern (Gibson brand) ABR because the originals tend to bend over time, no reason not to just throw it in the case. I've never been left for wanting sonically with it over the boutique brands.

Sound aside, nickel looks much cooler. :)

Progear

For me, it's about tone and feel .. as long as it's a reversable change...
Next time I do a string change, I'am going to swap in a pigtail abr and report back..
I agree that the TP wouldn't much tonal differance, just look nickel nicer...

moonweasel

Kris, you know I'm a purist and a dork for LSLP's. :) I can totally see where you are coming from.

That said, if something is totally and completely reversible, it's "to each his own" to me.

Kris Ford

Kris, you know I'm a purist and a dork for LSLP's. :) I can totally see where you are coming from.

That said, if something is totally and completely reversible, it's "to each his own" to me.

I understand that too, but opinions were being asked. If it were a chrome Pigtail, that would be one thing, but putting nickel on a '68 is like putting chrome on a Burst..It just doesn't look right...

Save the Pigtail for a Hysteric...they're the ones that need help in the tone department, not a '68 Les Paul..:yah

Kris Ford

It's just that I have such a love and appreciation for this era, and have defended the early Norlin era as well..I'm sort of a "militant purist".:laugh2: After all, I do own a '71 SG Deluxe, probably the most disliked SG ever made..but it's a bonafide killer, with those Patent# Sticker T Tops..and every bit as good as the late 60's ones..it has the same bridge, and I couldn't dream of replacing it..ever. Only if it collapsed, but I tune down to C#, the Sabbath tuning, so no worries there..mine has metal saddles, chrome plated. It's 100% original, one owner..just as it left Gibson..and that really means something to me..:salude
Now if it were a road dog, or a husk, mod on!:yah