The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Old Tokai Explorer.

This is a pretty cool Explorer copy spec'ed from one of Rick Neilsens '58's apparently.

Sorry for the small shots but 'Imageshack' now want you to pay to get images at a decent size…...

Body is two-piece mahogany bleached to look like Korina and it's light as feather with great tone and resonance.
    When you have the same guitar (or pedal, pickup, or amp) that your favorite player uses to play that music and make those sounds, you know that piece of equipment isn't part of the "problem", and you can either move on to blaming the next piece of gear or get down to playing and seeing if you can really do it.

Re: Old Tokai Explorer.

Not to go too far off topic, but IMHO Tokai was building better Les Paul's than Gibson in the late '70s. I had a few Les Paul REBORN models that absolutely smoked. I wish I hadn't sold these in hindsight.

I agree - Japan got hold of a lot of good wood back then. I had a '79 'Reborn' also, JD. Very nice guitars.
    When you have the same guitar (or pedal, pickup, or amp) that your favorite player uses to play that music and make those sounds, you know that piece of equipment isn't part of the "problem", and you can either move on to blaming the next piece of gear or get down to playing and seeing if you can really do it.

Quote Originally Posted by frazettafan View Post
    I agree - Japan got hold of a lot of good wood back then.

I have a Tokai 1980 LS80 and it's an amazing fiddle.. Better than any reissue I have owned..
    Music for me.

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

My favorite Strats are all MIJ/CIJ Fenders.

One of my first electric guitars was an ESP "Traditional" which was basically a vintage Fender Strat replica. It was honestly one of the best sounding Strat style guitars I'd ever played.

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

I remember several years ago at Cowtown, in the big dry ditch of Las Vegas and before

Jesse took over they had some lawsuit guitars.

A matching pair of a V and and Explorer.

They looked awesome together.

I never played them but they wanted big jing $$ for them and I didn't dare touchem'.

Still, they were waaaaay cool.

I've never tried out a lawsuit V but I hear they are pretty good.

I don't have any problems with this one, but I heard Explorers suffer from tuning instability due to the string spread across the headstock? Anyone know if this is true?

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

I don't have any problems with this one, but I heard Explorers suffer from tuning instability due to the string spread across the headstock? Anyone know if this is true?
    Never had an issue with the one I had!

My number 1 Strat uses an early 80s '56 2 piece CAR Tokai body. I don't know what they used for paint but mine has checked nicely. Maybe Acrylic lacquer? IDK but it is an extremely thin finish.

The higher end Tokai/ESP/Fugi Gen stuff coming from Japan at this time really smokes most of the the US product from that time by both Gibson and Fender.
    "In Heaven all the interesting people are missing."

Yeah, I've had several great Tokai Strats from that era.

My brother owns a Tokai '58 V but made from mahogany. It's a really nice guitar. I still have a Tokai Love Rock and a Strat.
    Les Paul Forum Founder

“It is only through inner peace that we can have true outer freedom.” — Sri Chinmoy

Right - got any pics, Dave? I understand that they are very good too - and quite rare.

I don't know if they did it with the V's but I heard that the Explorers, although made from mahogany, to achieve the correct colour the wood was somehow 'bleached' to make it look lighter in tone, like korina.

Last edited by frazettafan; 11-14-14 at 03:23 PM.

I used to have pix but they were lost in a hard drive crash. His is dark mahogany colored. but otherwise looks like a 58 V. I'll have to get after him to dig it out of the dungeon...
    Les Paul Forum Founder

“It is only through inner peace that we can have true outer freedom.” — Sri Chinmoy

(Q) How many guitars should you have? (A) Just one more.

If you look, the bridge pup is closer to the bridge (like it was supposed to be), unlike virtually all imports from Korea and Indonesia. Even Epis.

To my ears there's diff in the tone

Quote Originally Posted by 58Lover View Post
    If you look, the bridge pup is closer to the bridge (like it was supposed to be), unlike virtually all imports from Korea and Indonesia. Even Epis.

To my ears there's diff in the tone
    I think I see what you mean. And the overall shape is closer to a '58 than the gibson '70's reissues.

Had many a 79-84 Tokai myself. Used to hunt them down in the free ad papers back in the late 80's and through into the 90's.Never got my hands on a LS200 though. That would have been a great score.
    Missing the real ale.

Explorer Re: Old Tokai Explorer.

I own a 1984 lawsuit Tokai explorer. Bought new from a guitar shop in London called “ Allbang & Strumit” . It was made to order in 1984. Cost £352 which was a fair bit in those days. Gibson had finally reissued a korina style model with a black scratch plate but it was £900 and I wasn’t that rich then. It is free from any tuning issues and is a great guitar however, it has done a fair few gigs in its 35 years so condition is good to average. It’s solid mahogany but has a lighter coloured lacquer to give it its “korina” finish. I have no idea what it’s worth but I’m keeping it anyway. I will post some pictures at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt70 View Post
    I own a 1984 lawsuit Tokai explorer. Bought new from a guitar shop in London called “ Allbang & Strumit” . It was made to order in 1984. Cost £352 which was a fair bit in those days. Gibson had finally reissued a korina style model with a black scratch plate but it was £900 and I wasn’t that rich then. It is free from any tuning issues and is a great guitar however, it has done a fair few gigs in its 35 years so condition is good to average. It’s solid mahogany but has a lighter coloured lacquer to give it its “korina” finish. I have no idea what it’s worth but I’m keeping it anyway. I will post some pictures at some point.
    That would have been John Gold who sold you that marvelous plank. Great little store that sadly went in the late 80's. John lives in the US now. Any top end Tokai was very difficult to find in the UK back in the 80's. Not many were imported via 'Blue Suede Music' who were the distributor. Mainly because they were pretty expensive. I think the LS 200 was quoted in the '84 catalogue price guide at 900 quid.
    Missing the real ale.

Quote Originally Posted by oldflame View Post
    That would have been John Gold who sold you that marvelous plank. Great little store that sadly went in the late 80's. John lives in the US now. Any top end Tokai was very difficult to find in the UK back in the 80's. Not many were imported via 'Blue Suede Music' who were the distributor. Mainly because they were pretty expensive. I think the LS 200 was quoted in the '84 catalogue price guide at 900 quid.
    Thanks for the info. Great to learn more about that little shop in Covent Garden and sad that it went the way of so many. As I had ordered the Explorer, I had to go to the shop a couple of times and I walked in once to find them all gathered round one guy playing an old Strat which, it turned out; was an original 58’.
    Within minutes they handed it over to me to play. Really nice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by oldflame View Post
    I used to collect lots of those old tokais, had two early 80s LS 200s one i still regret selling...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br31iIPnhuR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link