LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Beck's amps through the years

Re: Beck's amps through the years

Jeff Beck - Rock n Roll Party Honoring Les Paul 2…: http://youtu.be/4VfeP3roN7A

Les Paul Forum Member Hillbilly JT's Avatar

I like that champ setup. The iridium show with Imelda May was cool. Is he using the 4 x 12 cabs, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly JT View Post
    I like that champ setup. The iridium show with Imelda May was cool. Is he using the 4 x 12 cabs, too?
    They're Pro Juniors.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...der-champ.html

Wow and here I thought they were some 50s amps in mint condition :/

Les Paul Forum Member captaincanada's Avatar

Cool thread!

For me it's the LP and Marshall rigs. Wow! Would have loved to be in the audience.

Gents, what are the tweed amps next to the pro Jr's in the LP tribute show? I'm assuming that the slightly larger looking tweed amps give him the more clean sounds and the pro Jr the overdriven sounds, would you agree?

And yeah in that crossroads 2010 show I agree that it seems like the marshall isn't plugged in, and I think that its light doesn't seem on. I'm still blown away that he's using a "lowly" pro jr. I wonder if it has been "upgraded" in any way.

I love Jeff Becks unique approach from technique all the way to his equipment choices. But yeah I'm boring in that I only truly love his yardbirds stuff. His later fusion stuff is appreciated intellectually and not viscerally I woukd have to say, and yet viscerally I still hold him dear as one of my favorite guitar players overall. I loved that LP tribute show w imelda mays band though!

Here are things from the more modern Marshall centric approach

Jeff Beck - Performing This Week... Live at Ronni…: http://youtu.be/_ndyILodYwM

Nobody is more qualified to talk about Jeff Beck’s gear than Stevie Prior.

On the DVD, Beck is playing through a pair of Fender Pro Juniors. Fender’s Shane Nicholas clarifies, “One was finished in Sonic Blue to match a Custom Shop guitar at the NAMM show, and somehow Jeff ended up with it.”

“The Sonic Blue one has a Jensen P10R Alnico I retrofitted just to get a bit more treble. On the tour now, we’re using these marvelous Lazy J amps built by Jesse Hoff."

“I’m also running a pair of reissue Marshall JTM 45s,” Prior continues. “I’ve stuck them to Marshall custom-made floor wedges, which are 4x12s loaded with Greenbacks, split into two boxes. So one of the JTM 45s runs a pair of wedges downstage, which are effectively a 16-ohm load, and one of the JTM 45s runs a Greenback-loaded 1960BX cabinet onstage. I run all amps through a couple of buffered, isolated splitter boxes, which allow me to run however many rigs I need to. They were built by a guy in the U.K. who worked for Marshall for 30-odd years – now Mike Hill Services (MHS).”

For Beck’s “own” shows, Prior controls an offstage rack that includes such things as a Maestro Ring Modulator, a Mu-Tron octave divider, and an old, gray MXR Power Flanger, “like Eddie Van Halen used.” A pair of limited-edition Marshall JTM 45 100s – “essentially the front end of a JTM 45 with two output stages” – is also employed. From all that, it goes into the MHS buffered, isolated splitting box, then into however many amps we’re using. And we put a pair of Sennheiser 509s on the amplifiers, and generally a 57 or something like that on the 4x12s.”

http://www.vintageguitar.com/9486/jeff-beck/

Quote Originally Posted by moonweasel View Post
    I thought you meant "Beck"

Of course you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post

Nobody is more qualified to talk about Jeff Beck’s gear than Stevie Prior.

On the DVD, Beck is playing through a pair of Fender Pro Juniors. Fender’s Shane Nicholas clarifies, “One was finished in Sonic Blue to match a Custom Shop guitar at the NAMM show, and somehow Jeff ended up with it.”

“The Sonic Blue one has a Jensen P10R Alnico I retrofitted just to get a bit more treble. On the tour now, we’re using these marvelous Lazy J amps built by Jesse Hoff."

“I’m also running a pair of reissue Marshall JTM 45s,” Prior continues. “I’ve stuck them to Marshall custom-made floor wedges, which are 4x12s loaded with Greenbacks, split into two boxes. So one of the JTM 45s runs a pair of wedges downstage, which are effectively a 16-ohm load, and one of the JTM 45s runs a Greenback-loaded 1960BX cabinet onstage. I run all amps through a couple of buffered, isolated splitter boxes, which allow me to run however many rigs I need to. They were built by a guy in the U.K. who worked for Marshall for 30-odd years – now Mike Hill Services (MHS).”

For Beck’s “own” shows, Prior controls an offstage rack that includes such things as a Maestro Ring Modulator, a Mu-Tron octave divider, and an old, gray MXR Power Flanger, “like Eddie Van Halen used.” A pair of limited-edition Marshall JTM 45 100s – “essentially the front end of a JTM 45 with two output stages” – is also employed. From all that, it goes into the MHS buffered, isolated splitting box, then into however many amps we’re using. And we put a pair of Sennheiser 509s on the amplifiers, and generally a 57 or something like that on the 4x12s.”

http://www.vintageguitar.com/9486/jeff-beck/
    awesome info, thanks! … and Lazy J amps, intriguing..I've been thinking of getting a tweed like amp, I'll have to look into these

Alright, you animals. Get a load o' this: