• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

OFFICIAL PIC THREAD: Let's see your SG's !!!

GuitarMikey

Awesome...can't wait to see more. But if you ever get tired of it, give me a shout ;)

garywright

'61 SGLP
27237985546_cf8d321aea_c.jpg

nice that the stop bar is installed properly :salude

55 Jr.

1965 SG Jr. (The much maligned 274468)

:)

1970 SG Special.

She's had a rough life. Head stock break. Massive heel break. Nashville Bridge mounted on Harmonica bridge posts (It's kind of a long story). Gold Fender/Grovers. Cool guitar.

Kris Ford

Maligned? Please elaborate!:peace2
My old '65 was in the 274XXX range, and I loved it! BEST neck shape ever!!

Does yours have 137 65 04 pot codes as well?

Funny, but I snagged a NOS 2011 SG Special '60's Tribute, in white, (buffed satin into high gloss, feels and look cool! The white is starting to "cream up" nicely already!!) and I'd be damned if the neck didn't feel almost the same..no joke, like a low D shape that feels not too thin, not too thick..although listed as '60's slim taper, it feels a lil beefier than that. Maybe Gibson took the measurements from an old Junior?

For a "Tribute" it feels right to me, having owned a couple..(a '64 and '65). I put a 5 ply guard, steel tailpiece studs, a Historic bell TRC, nice reflectors and pointers, buffed it out, installed Grovers, (which I love on P90 guitars for some reason, my '65 and '64 both had them as well..), and originally had intended it to just be a "beater", but it feels so great and sounds so killer that it gets the most play time out of all of my Gibsons at the moment.
And oddly enough, sounds like a P90 SG should, surprised that new Gibson P90s hold their own.
I think Gibson is able to keep the P90s closer to the original formula better than they can with humbuckers..

david.beason

I got this well worn '64 Junior a couple of weeks ago and have had a hard time putting it down. Really love it!

DSC_0023_6.jpg

Guitar Whiskey

62' minty fresh...

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3374_28129_copy.jpg

IMG_3379.jpg

Was '62 the only year that didn't have the full step around the neck joint that wrapped around the sides to the back of the body? This '62 shows a smooth transition on the back; without the step, just on the sides.

Cream Fan

Was '62 the only year that didn't have the full step around the neck joint that wrapped around the sides to the back of the body? This '62 shows a smooth transition on the back; without the step, just on the sides.

My '61 has the same style neck joint. From what I've read, Gibson apparently let dealers choose between the standard box joint and a "smooth heel" joint when they ordered guitars. I've seen both joints on SGs right up until they changed the joint completely in 1966.

blueline

The full step around the neck only occurred on the 1960 to early 1961 model (the 1960 version). Your neck join is the the 1961 version that continued into 1962 but was again changed in 1962 when a ledge was added ending the smooth joint (1962 version).

frazettafan

Maligned? Please elaborate!:peace2
My old '65 was in the 274XXX range, and I loved it! BEST neck shape ever!!

Does yours have 137 65 04 pot codes as well?

Funny, but I snagged a NOS 2011 SG Special '60's Tribute, in white, (buffed satin into high gloss, feels and look cool! The white is starting to "cream up" nicely already!!) and I'd be damned if the neck didn't feel almost the same..no joke, like a low D shape that feels not too thin, not too thick..although listed as '60's slim taper, it feels a lil beefier than that. Maybe Gibson took the measurements from an old Junior?

For a "Tribute" it feels right to me, having owned a couple..(a '64 and '65). I put a 5 ply guard, steel tailpiece studs, a Historic bell TRC, nice reflectors and pointers, buffed it out, installed Grovers, (which I love on P90 guitars for some reason, my '65 and '64 both had them as well..), and originally had intended it to just be a "beater", but it feels so great and sounds so killer that it gets the most play time out of all of my Gibsons at the moment.
And oddly enough, sounds like a P90 SG should, surprised that new Gibson P90s hold their own.
I think Gibson is able to keep the P90s closer to the original formula better than they can with humbuckers..

That's nice, any more photos?

Grog

I'll repost mine.......... Many great photos have been lost due to Photobuckets change in policy........... :dang

5hpLX33h.jpg
i57wCUMh.jpg

Last edited:

rockabilly69

Here's my only SG, with Wolfetone Mean/Meaner P90s, full RS kit, Mojoaxe bridge, tonepros studs.

yBvYRdX.jpg

57gold

The "Grail" of SGs, PAFs, Ebony Block, Les Paul from 1961-2:

MK7HNBe.jpg

Sourced from Southworth 25 years ago, sold to a LPF member a couple of years ago.