• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Flametop Friday!!!

jimmyace2006

i-Z7M96cF-XL.jpg

PHILBERT

This forum really needs "LIKE" buttons.

Not only does it serve a function, but it also promotes good will.

Those are stunning beauties!

Phil

PeteNJ75

This forum really needs "LIKE" buttons.

Not only does it serve a function, but it also promotes good will.

Those are stunning beauties!

Phil

Couldn’t agree more. It’s frustrating having to post just to tip your hat at a great picture.

PeteNJ75

Here's a blast from the past.

My first R9 which I bought new from Vic Dapra in 2003. 8.2 lbs.

I sold the above guitar it in 2005 to fund this Murphy aged R9 (also 8.2 lbs):

I personally like the Murphy better. Great finish.

PHILBERT

Stunning and oh so beautiful . I am sincerely blown away by that most awesome top , which is what it's about in my eyes !

Why, thank you! :salude

I can hardly believe I scored this "thing of beauty" . You never see them in any of the "big box" or local small chain stores. Been wanting one since...forever. Had to visit a mega-stocked, "hand-picked" dealer to have any chance at all.

Honestly, I was asking Curt for color, and not focused on flame at all. A plaintop with good color (and tone) would have sold me. Tried several, and then this "thing" jumped out of a case. My first thought was, "Why didn't this sell a long time ago? Matt didn't grab this one??? It's too outrageous! Is it a tone turd or something?". Went upstairs and plugged it in. Oh NO, not a "turd" at all. It sounded better then most of the others. Tons of growl and overtones with incredible string definition. I remember one 2019 '58 that also sounded very good, but the neck profile and light red back color didn't suite me. Some other more average "flamers" sounded ok too, but I got lucky on this one.

Plain and simple, I got lucky that day! The right place at the right time. It's a keeper. :dude:

Phil

Last edited: