• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What amp(s) do you gig with?

concert410

As much fun as it is getting new stuff, I keep going back to gigging with my Mesa F30/Mesa Thiele cab rig. It is versatile, portable, toneful, and can be loud as hell. Being a guitar player means that I will always accumulate other stuff...

LHakim

:spabout
This is my current rig for gigs. Can't believe how underrated Budda amps are.

653C7AB5-9990-4E19-967A-89001501C9C8_zpso0dgto4q.jpg

I lost my regular gig at church to my 17 year old son :jim but keep a Budda Superdrive 18 around the house. It has a great master that does the overdriven lower volume thing better than any other amp I've played and I agree, Budda's are underrated.

mikey_guit

Lovely amps to be found here! :dude:

My main amp for the last 10 or so years is a 2550 Jubilee in various configurations. Initially I had the matching 4x12 which I soon replaced with a JCM800 1936. That cab had the G12T75 stock speakers which had to go in favour for a G12-65 pair. While the sound judged on its own was to die for, the already dark Jubilee got lost in the band mix. These days I have EV12Ls and they rock, but they are friggin heavy so I am thinking about a 1x12 for smaller gigs. Oh, and the Marshall is 6V6 powered which allows me to open the Output Master more so it hits the sweet spot.

101.jpg

(using the venues 4x12 here...)

johnnyslim

Played Saturday night for the Memorial Day weekend, summer concert series kickoff at the lake. Kevin plays pretty much all Fender's so I brought out all Gibson's. Pretty much all I play anyway. Since it a short haul from parking to the stage through gravel I opted to put my chassis in a head box.

Guitars%20amp_zpsawpv6kcy.jpg

shred

Both these amps were formally owned by Lee Jackson himself :headbange

image.jpg2_zps9wcydk6a.jpg

Dave P

Wow, haven't seen a Metaltronix amp in a long time! I always wanted a GP1000 preamp, maybe someday.....
Both these amps were formally owned by Lee Jackson himself :headbange

image.jpg2_zps9wcydk6a.jpg

tonar8353

Normally I use a 1974 Super Reverb in a Larry Rodgers blond cabinet that has been Blackfaced and had the tyrannies switched out to Mercury Magnetic s Tone Clone's along with a customized Leslie . I also use a hand wired 59 Bassman replica with an Uncle Spot stand alone reverb if something goes wrong with the super.

Here is the back up in place and ready to go because the Super was acting out at the time and had to be taken in for a checkup. Fortunately it was only a rectifier tube and it is back in as number one.
IMG_9948_zpsebpaxjqj.jpg

I love this super!
IMG_9949_zpspto52iiy.jpg

shred

Wow, haven't seen a Metaltronix amp in a long time! I always wanted a GP1000 preamp, maybe someday.....

Heh thanks Dave... I thought you might be hip to The mighty Metaltronix... They only made 600 or so... Really cool head. I think it's the best looking head ever :headbange

Last edited:

les strat

Heh thanks Dave... I thought you might be hip to The mighty Metaltronix... They only made 600 or so... Really cool head. I think it's the best looking head ever :headbange

I always heard Zakk used one of those on NRFTW. Don't know the truth in that, but used to want one bad.

shred

Here's Zakk talking about it:

Another important element in Zakk’s tone is the tight tube sound generated by Lee Jackson’s Metaltronix amps. “I think they sound great—I mean if you need any proof, just listen to “Crazy Babies” [No Rest For The Wicked] on a good car stereo,” says Wylde. “When the power chords kick in, just watch the speakers move. Metaltronix amps move a lot of air. You can turn some digital amps up to 20 and the speakers won’t move—there’s no power. Also, the Metaltraonix’s bottom-end sound is really tight. I’ve played on amps where the bottom end is so muddy that playing on the low E and A string is a lost cause. When you play something like “I Don’t know,” those strings are crucial. Ultimately, it’s really the combination of the Les Paul, the EMG’s and the Metaltronix that keep my sound both heavy and crisp. I’ve played [Fender] Strats through the same system and it just doesn’t work.”

http://gear-vault.com/zakk-wylde-zakkology-wylde-rig/

More detailed cool Zakk stuff

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Back_in_the_Rack_The_Return_of_Lee_Jacksons_GP_1000

Last edited:

latestarter

Played Saturday night for the Memorial Day weekend, summer concert series kickoff at the lake. Kevin plays pretty much all Fender's so I brought out all Gibson's. Pretty much all I play anyway. Since it a short haul from parking to the stage through gravel I opted to put my chassis in a head box.

Guitars%20amp_zpsawpv6kcy.jpg

Awesome ensemble there....

Analogman88

1963 Vibroverb reissue or '62 Deluxe. I have a JTM45 clone and 1970 Basketweave cab and wish I could use them live but, we hardly ever play a venue large enough for that kind of action. Hope springs eternal, though!

Get you an attenuator man! I have the same situation: 1959HW Plexi with no master volume and I like overdrive. Even most of our outdoor gigs I need some attenuation at volume 9. Rivera Rockcrusher is the perfect solution anywhere from slight volume drop to speaking levels if you so wish and barely any loss of tone even at speaking levels.:hank

BurstWurst

I'm still gigging weekly with the brother of that - 65Amps Tupelo. I find its versatility/tone mix hard to beat.
I tend to vacillate between a 65 Amps Tupelo or a Goodsell Super-seventeen. I've noticed that the Tupelo always generates comments from the sound guy, always very enthusiastic and positive comments. Always have a tweed deluxe (clone) as back-up.