NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Re: Beauty of The Black Beauty - The "Alnico" Custom thread

Quote Originally Posted by zhivago View Post

just been looking back at this thread and gotta say..

that’s ah real nicccee !

Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    just been looking back at this thread and gotta say..

that’s ah real nicccee !
    Oh, HELL YEAH!!!
    Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

"...put aside the alienation, get on with the fascination, the real relation, the underlying theme."
    Neil Peart (September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020)

That photo set really sent me over the top to try and get an old 50s Custom. Just love the detail!
    Guitars: '56 Les Paul Custom, '63 SG/LP Custom, '61 Jazzmaster, '43 000-28, '15 ES-345,
    Amps: Matchless Lightning, Zvex Nano amp
    Pedals: Centaur, BJFE, Analogman, Zvex, Maxon, etc.

Les Paul Forum Member

Hi all, I've just read every page in this thread over the past week and I feel like Neo in the Matrix being disconnected from the training machine "Now I know Les Paul Customs!"

I have some questions about 50s Les Paul Customs and some pictures I would like feedback on if that's OK.
    (please be shall we say diplomatic in your responses - I'm a long time customer of some of the stores where these guitars/photos were taken and I assume the best - so please be certain of anything you imply if you know what I mean - don't want to burn any bridges).

Always had a few guitars but in 2017 got bitten by the vintage bug and have slowly replaced everything with vintage gear. Currently have around 15 guitars.
    I had a 75 LP Deluxe that sounded great but heavy - sold it when I found a 1974 Black LP Custom 20th Anniversary. Great guitar.

Then around Feb this year I saw an ad on Reverb (surprised no one posted about it here) for a 50s LP Custom with some kind of headstock repair. Other than Sperzel tuners all original. Started messaging with the owner who got it back in 1969 when he was 15 (traded in a 50s LP Jr). Got the price down considerably and it's now waiting for me in Chicago (I'm in Europe). I am beyond excited and cannot wait to check it out. Not sure of the year - I'm thinking maybe 55 - based on the Cornell Dubilier caps - but would love to hear feedback from all of you as to what you think I bought.

I sold the 74 Anniversary to a guy in Spain before you ask....

In the meantime I've recently had the chance to play two 50s LPCs in stores nearby. One is a 1954 refinish and felt amazing - but after reading this thread I'm suspicious because of the the last three inlays (I'll post pics) - the other one is 1956 and has a narrow nut width - which the store thinks was a special order(they make the argument it's original due to the lack of evidence of full or partial refinish as well as untouched solder joints)

I'll post the pics and see what you think ??

B
    Last edited by irishbog; 05-13-20 at 06:02 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member

My Les Paul Custom - haven't seen it yet though

Hoping the photo uploads work - this is what I have so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by irishbog; 05-14-20 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Better picture links

Les Paul Forum Member

Thin nut 1956

Removed - I'll let someone else start the discussion on this guitar
    Last edited by irishbog; 05-13-20 at 06:00 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member

This is the second one I checked out - played wonderfully - really blown away.
    Supposedly a refinished 1954 - it's got the speed knobs at least.

But what's bugging me is those last inlays - they don't seem to be the same size - kinda like the reissues.... what do you all think?IMG_6726.jpgIMG_6727.jpgIMG_6728.jpgIMG_6729.jpg

Re: My Les Paul Custom - haven't seen it yet though

Quote Originally Posted by irishbog View Post
    LPC-1.jpguicvtp7ybkzgyka6virp.jpgDSC05244.jpgDSC05239.jpgDSC04852.jpg
    Hoping the photo uploads work - this is what I have so far.
    From these pics the guitar looks ok to me, would be great to get more close-ups...obviously we know the changed tuners and the switch tip is changed and the poker chip is missing...what's the deal with the missing serial number? Strange checking on the back of the headstock.

Is this the one with the supposed narrow nut?

Never heard of one having a narrow nut, but I guess with Gibson anything is possible...it is very hard to verify, for sure.
    Guitars: '56 Les Paul Custom, '63 SG/LP Custom, '61 Jazzmaster, '43 000-28, '15 ES-345,

This is the second one I checked out - played wonderfully - really blown away.
    Supposedly a refinished 1954 - it's got the speed knobs at least.

But what's bugging me is those last inlays - they don't seem to be the same size - kinda like the reissues.... what do you all think?IMG_6726.jpgIMG_6727.jpgIMG_6728.jpgIMG_6729.jpg
    Some guitars didn't have all three inlays the same size (although most did), changed tuners on this one?

Some guitars didn't have all three inlays the same size (although most did), changed tuners on this one?
    Yup... A lesson I learned from you...

Cool guitar though...

"...put aside the alienation, get on with the fascination, the real relation, the underlying theme."

Les Paul Forum Member

No idea about this one and the tuners - all they said was a refin

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: My Les Paul Custom - haven't seen it yet though

From these pics the guitar looks ok to me, would be great to get more close-ups...obviously we know the changed tuners and the switch tip is changed and the poker chip is missing...what's the deal with the missing serial number? Strange checking on the back of the headstock.

Is this the one with the supposed narrow nut?

Never heard of one having a narrow nut, but I guess with Gibson anything is possible...it is very hard to verify, for sure.

When I get my hands on it I will definitely take and post plenty of photos !!!!

Les Paul Forum Member

Last 3 Inlays - Here's my theory

Hi all,

OK so blame the virus and the lockdown but I've gone down the rabbit hole of looking at the last 3 inlays on Gibson ebony boards - ES-355s and Les Paul / SG Customs.

My hypothesis is the following and I'm happy to have it blown apart but I've looked at dozens of guitars and haven't seen one that doesn't follow it

1953-1960 Last three inlays are pretty similar - in fact the last one often looks longer and wider (maybe illusion due to thinner fret)
    1960-1971 The 17th and 19th are in the same ballpark (maybe not exactly the same) but the last one 21st definitely smaller than previous two.
    1972 - Present Each of the last 3 inlays gets progressively and clearly smaller.

TYPE 1

TYPE 2

TYPE 3

Thanks for the work you did on that Ib and posting it!

I know that the angle and lighting can be deceiving, but here's Frampton's '54:

The 21st fret definitely looks thinner to me than Les Paul's '54.

Midnight Blues

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues View Post

Yes that definitely is not the inlays I thought were 50s only - seems more like the 70s type where it gets smaller. But as you said the lighting can make it seem different.... here are some that I found of his guitar back then...which makes it seem like the 60s type of inlay.

and another

but the recent shots clearly look like the 1972+ style with decreasing sizes...

I give up !!!

Damn!!! Now I'm confused...

Frampton's guitar has been confirmed to have had the fretboard replaced before it originally disappeared. What you see today is not an original 1954 board and inlays.

-Douglas C.

Yes that definitely is not the inlays I thought were 50s only - seems more like the 70s type where it gets smaller. But as you said the lighting can make it seem different.... here are some that I found of his guitar back then...which makes it seem like the 60s type of inlay.

and another

but the recent shots clearly look like the 1972+ style with decreasing sizes...

I give up !!!
    I agree with you, it does look more like a '70s style. I have tons of old photos ('70s) where it looks both ways though, so I give up too.
    Last edited by Midnight Blues; 05-14-20 at 08:40 PM.
    Midnight Blues

Quote Originally Posted by darkwave View Post
    Frampton's guitar has been confirmed to have had the fretboard replaced before it originally disappeared. What you see today is not an original 1954 board and inlays.

-Douglas C.
    I have not read anywhere, that I can recall, that the fretboard was ever replaced? It certainly has been refretted, likely multiple times. The MOP on the first fret of "The Phenix" is exactly the same as it was back in the '70s, so if it was replaced, whomever did the work must have saved the MOP?

This is a fairly early (latter Humble Pie/early Frampton) picture of it. The marker is nowhere near the size of Les Paul's '54 or any of the '50s for that matter, but Frampton's was confirmed to be a '54.

Midnight Blues

Les Paul Forum Member

OK then that makes it a real head scratcher. But clearly a guitar that had had a lot of work done on it so not unthinkable that the fretboard is not original. A lot of stuff could have happened between 1954 and 1970 as seen with the extra pickup.

I have not read anywhere, that I can recall, that the fretboard was ever replaced? It certainly has been refretted, likely multiple times. The MOP on the first fret of "The Phenix" is exactly the same as it was back in the '70s, so if it was replaced, whomever did the work must have saved the MOP?

This is a fairly early (latter Humble Pie/early Frampton) picture of it. The marker is nowhere near the size of Les Paul's '54 or any of the '50s for that matter, but Frampton's was confirmed to be a '54.

Well, that picture is a head-scratcher... When his guitar was first discovered I was in the camp that thought it was a fraud BECAUSE the inlays weren't typical of a '54. When it was authenticated there was a quote from Frampton himself that said Gibson had done work on it shortly before the crash which included replacing the fretboard. Read it on this site and thought that was the magic bullet in believing it was real. Don't know what to say now, but I had never seen a 54-56 that didn't have the typical "same sized" upper inlays. Not sure what to think now...

-Douglas C.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwave View Post
    Well, that picture is a head-scratcher... When his guitar was first discovered I was in the camp that thought it was a fraud BECAUSE the inlays weren't typical of a '54. When it was authenticated there was a quote from Frampton himself that said Gibson had done work on it shortly before the crash which included replacing the fretboard. Read it on this site and thought that was the magic bullet in believing it was real. Don't know what to say now, but I had never seen a 54-56 that didn't have the typical "same sized" upper inlays. Not sure what to think now...

-Douglas C.
    I was skeptical at first myself as well. I'm just glad it turned-out the way it did!

Here's another where it's '70s-ish:

Like I typed above, it could be the angle and lighting I guess? I have some pictures where it looks like a more traditional '50s and some of those are post the pictures I posted above!

Here are a few:

In case you can't tell, I'm a Frampton fanatic. He's been my favorite guitarist since "Humble Pie Performance Rockin' The Fillmore" was released back in '71 (yes, I'm that old) and his Les Paul has been hands-down my favorite for just as long.

Midnight Blues

Les Paul Forum Member

I had a chance to buy a alnico black beauty in the early 90s, from a guy who had two of them.
    He allegedly found them in an attic while working as an electrician,
    and made the owner of the house (who didn't know of their existence or who might have put them there) an offer and got them.
    Anyway, he wanted about $1500 for the guitar, and being a poor metal/grunge guitarist at the time...i passed on it
    To this day there is nothing i regret more in my life...and there is plenty of regrets

Quote Originally Posted by spursn17 View Post
    I had a chance to buy a alnico black beauty in the early 90s, from a guy who had two of them.
    He allegedly found them in an attic while working as an electrician,
    and made the owner of the house (who didn't know of their existence or who might have put them there) an offer and got them.
    Anyway, he wanted about $1500 for the guitar, and being a poor metal/grunge guitarist at the time...i passed on it
    To this day there is nothing i regret more in my life...and there is plenty of regrets

I've had a couple of things that got away as I was in a similar position, so I know how it feels...

Here's a '56 to cheer us both up!

A "new" '56 BB spoted on Bill Wyman's auction @7:05 mark

Bonus points for the ABB connection and "that thing"

Well spotted! Man, that BB has been played hard!!

Here is a nice Alnico Custom (and a few other LPs)...

Les Paul Forum Member

Hey guys,
    how do you like the Alnico V neck pickup when used with some overdrive, in comparison to a neck PAF of a 58-60 burst?
    I guess it's a brighter and more articulate/less dense sound, right?

Personally I love it...it is thicker sounding than the P90 on the bridge, but with enough high end to not make it muddy.

It is definitely different than the neck PAF on my '63 Custom, but still a great sound.

If you go to page 1 of this thread, I posted a Phil X video where he plays an alnico Custom, and you can hear the Alnico setting really well.

I prefer mine over the bridge P90 as well.
    Midnight Blues

Inadvertently representing the USA in France and the UK

The Alnico was Gibson's version of the DeArmond DynaSonic, with the adjustable magnets - the only pickup I like as much as a P-90.