• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Beauty of The Black Beauty - The "Alnico" Custom thread

zhivago

Can we keep this thread alive?

We sure can...here's another one from my archives...

another_zpsunvqsori.jpg

:dude:

Last edited:

moonweasel

zhivago,

Love the thread! Interesting side note, REALLY looks like the late 60's cases are identical other than the texture of the vinyl and the lack of the name plate. Same latches too.

Were the 50's one's "Lifton" brand?

KennyY

Don't all of those modifications that Les made on his '54 remind you of the finished product of the Jimmy Page Black Beauty...can't remember if Les was still with us when that JP BB came out but it seems as though that would be a true Les Paul Custom that the man himself would have loved...except for perhaps the weight as I imagine that most are likely in the 9-10# plus range. Anyone else notice this? Quiet a few of the greats did modify their Black Beauties, like Page and Fripp for example...although the king of tinkering seems to have been Les himself (rivaled perhaps by Eddie Van Halen).

I don't think he would have liked the 3PU setup on the JPPBB. I've seen photos the early SG Customs with the middle pickup removed.

zhivago

zhivago,

Love the thread! Interesting side note, REALLY looks like the late 60's cases are identical other than the texture of the vinyl and the lack of the name plate. Same latches too.

Were the 50's one's "Lifton" brand?

They really do look very alike...my case has no Lifton badge inside...not sure if none of the Custom cases had one...I can't remember of any picture of a case that had one, actually.

My case is actually in pretty beat condition, so it is in storage...I use a Proform case :jim

zhivago

Here's Marc Bolan with a Custom :)

20150118015233-2e13f201-me_zpskdacrahv.jpg

i_zps1hhzhox3.jpg

20150118015217-5b5c7e90_zpsh8uycu9e.jpg

Last edited:

zhivago

Thanks guys!

I have a few more pics to post in the near future :)

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
this thread also needs some Les...

20140708083802-b4c2649e-xx.jpg

Yeah... I had to save that picture... Being that I was born in '61, it would be reasonable to say that I can't pass it off as my own, but I WILL be printing it, framing it and hanging it in my home studio... :peace2

duaneflowers

Still haven't heard a good reason why they dropped the Alnico... love to pick up another Lester with one. Routing out another model to fit an aftermarket one seems rather daunting.

zhivago

Here is a '57 from my archives...

1_zpskekhhjrb.jpg

2_zpsmwc4ztqi.jpg

3_zpshx7beabp.jpg

5_zps6xwno9eb.jpg

4_zpsdc1jiyqz.jpg

6_zpswmv3z60r.jpg

Last edited:

zhivago

Four more guitars from my archives...unknown years...

1_zps9bzd3kyz.jpg

3_zpspssvpp9a.jpg

4_zpsm5nvtkfm.jpg

2_zpstdh1izsu.jpg

Last edited:

zhivago

Here's a 1955 with a bigsby :)

Check out the black "dogbone" base...

1_zpsiqzq1pyd.jpg

2_zpsjm4yxgsy.jpg

3_zpskzyhmve1.jpg

4_zpsjkrwlzwk.jpg

5_zps93k1a7gj.jpg

Last edited:

zhivago

I think it was Lark Street, yes...not sure if it is still for sale...I save pics on my hard drive all the time and often forget where they are from :)