• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Beauty of The Black Beauty - The "Alnico" Custom thread

TM1

Wow!! Some truly Phenomenal photos & guitars! I really appreciate the efforts that have gone into this post.
I like the way the bobbin was made for the Alnico V pickup usingthe same material as the jack plates. Most of the Alnico V pickups I've seen are not built like this and use the regular styrene type bobbin material like the P-90's use.
Thanks/Cheers Zhivago!!

zhivago

My pleasure sir!

I love these guitars...I was rocking out on my '56 earlier this morning :)

Progrocker111

Havent you noticed, that these 50s LP Customs have a bit thicker body than for example late 60s or 70s LPs?

zhivago

Here is an early one...1953, as linked in a thread here:

LP1_zpsufc3gxlx.jpg

LP1B_zps6qbrskoh.jpg

this one has been played! :)

Last edited:

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
i-CzSjpwj-L.jpg

No idea if these are actually vintage Customs, but I remember seeing this photo years ago at the LPF and saving a copy. Three beautiful instruments that look like they belong together.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
i-PTwVTht-L.jpg

A decade ago, I scanned the above photo into Photoshop and airbrushed out the staples and creases, printed it up and framed it, and it hangs on my wall.

I know this post is primarily about the early staple-pickup Black Beauties, but I remember staring at this nicely photographed Guitar World centerfold endlessly in the mid-1980s. (It ran in an otherwise all-hair metal issue, hence the allusion to HM in the copy.)

Last edited:

zhivago

i-PTwVTht-L.jpg

A decade ago, I scanned the above photo into Photoshop and airbrushed out the staples and creases, printed it up and framed it, and it hangs on my wall.

I know this post is primarily about the early staple-pickup Black Beauties, but I remember staring at this nicely photographed Guitar World centerfold endlessly in the mid-1980s. (It ran in an otherwise all-hair metal issue, hence the allusion to HM in the copy.)

that is one awesome pic, thank you for posting it! :jim

rays44

i-CzSjpwj-L.jpg

No idea if these are actually vintage Customs, but I remember seeing this photo years ago at the LPF and saving a copy. Three beautiful instruments that look like they belong together.

I believe the pair belonged to a very nice gent here on the forum back in the day. I dubbed them, "The tuxedo Suit". The triple p/u was offered at a very reasonable price last I heard. Wish I had the funds at the time. Those were the days of 60 Burst, 59 Burst, Rich R and a few other notable gentlemen of enlightening distinction. It was a different time, :dude:

Stratoben127

Been wanting an Alnico Custom so bad!

Jerry's best tones were with his Alnico Custom IMO.

P.Walker

jesus christ...i would give an arm and leg for one of these...make that two...absolutely mind-blown.

I'm going to get one some day in the very near future...

CPM55

The 53-56 Black Beauty will always be my personal favorite....who does everyone believe to be the best known (most associated with) guitarist for the early BB? Technically I think besides Les Paul himself, likely Peter Framptom may be the guy (even though it was modified to be a 3PUP BB, it was a 54. Bill Haley, Pat Martino, Jim Hall, Keith Richards...who would you all say is THE guy? I'm mostly talking about the original BBs.

TM1

Hard to say who's the most well known. You just don't see anyone play these nowadays.
BTW, one way to being able to tell and original from a reissue is the originals always had the same size inlays for the top three nearest the body. All of the reissues have three different size inlays. A fact that Gibson just doesn't seem to care about when doing Historic's..