• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Beauty of The Black Beauty - The "Alnico" Custom thread

zhivago

Here is a refin from 1956... :hank

hbs2qbjuk3ecdllliyze_zpsmzuu3at0.jpg

pujsugojs18maztx5z5i_zpsgog0au9c.jpg

Royb21

Do any alnico owners know if the all mahogany body on these real 53-57 models was once solid chunk of wood, or if they used a mahogany cap...sorry if a silly question, but I can not find this addressed anywhere. I can make a guess, but looking for more than that..thank you.

67blackcherry

Do any alnico owners know if the all mahogany body on these real 53-57 models was once solid chunk of wood, or if they used a mahogany cap...sorry if a silly question, but I can not find this addressed anywhere. I can make a guess, but looking for more than that..thank you.

I'm no expert and if I'm wrong I know someone will chime in but I'm pretty sure the maple cap Custom started in '68, all the '50s were solid mahogany.

Royb21

Thank-you. To clarify and avoid confusion, I am not asking about maple caps. My question is : was the body one solid piece of mahogany, or did they used a mahogany cap on top of a mahogany slab. Thank you to all!

darkwave

Thank-you. To clarify and avoid confusion, I am not asking about maple caps. My question is : was the body one solid piece of mahogany, or did they used a mahogany cap on top of a mahogany slab. Thank you to all!

Solid, one-piece mahogany body with a round wiring channel drilled diagonally from output jack to toggle location (since there was no glued-on cap to conceal a route from the top).

-Douglas C.

zhivago

Correct...and here is a picture showing the round wiring channel :jim

20140706231350-cbf3bc5d_zpse8slblps.jpg

agogetr

the les paul custom...top of the line. when a gibson was built by true craftsmen. one of my 56's i had for a while, it could sit in the closet for a year or better and i would pull it out and strum it and...still in tune! amazing guitars. those staple alnico pickups are really great too. some of the early fifties es 175's had pairs of those in them. lovem