• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Beauty of The Black Beauty - The "Alnico" Custom thread

maxwedge

This is 10 mlies from me, I want it! :hmm

This '56 popped up on my Gbase feed this morning! :hank

1956-gibson-les-paul-custom-black-uDcJVbl_zpsrjggqdyn.jpg

1956-gibson-les-paul-custom-black-cKEX5Sg_zpsyluje8w1.jpg

zhivago

I was waiting for him to bang the neck on the boot lid.

Hahaha!!

Same here!! :laugh2:

The video is general is a bit cringe-worthy, but still, a Black Beauty is a Black Beauty! :)

agogetr

This is not about a vintage Lifton case . I just ordered a Anvil road case for my Les Paul's when I ship them out via UPS for service . In December I got the talk from my tech who said the "what if it falls off the back of the truck and gets run over ? " I got the flush lock and my name on both sides of the case .It is going to take 4 weeks to custom build as I thought they were pre fab made and sitting in there warehouse . I also asked about a road case for my Marshall 2555X and 2551 AV cab . So now with the Anvil case I should be good and protected when ever I am sending one of my Les Paul's out for service ,which is fairly often . I matched the color of my Gibson Chainsaw case of the exterior in black and the interior in Navy Blue and the nice lady from Anvil says to me "oh you must be a rocker "
awsome! hey i spoke with the lady from anvil and she was hip and seemed really well informed. just curious why not ship in the protector case? if your sending les pauls out all the time for service i,m thinkin you do 325 dates a year and live in montana? tryin to walk a mile in yor shoes brother.

El Gringo

awsome! hey i spoke with the lady from anvil and she was hip and seemed really well informed. just curious why not ship in the protector case? if your sending les pauls out all the time for service i,m thinkin you do 325 dates a year and live in montana? tryin to walk a mile in yor shoes brother.
That was my thinking as well and the protector is A okay for flying but if it is getting shipped by commercial transit as my tech explained it to me "what if it falls off the back of the truck and gets squished by the truck rolling over it ? " Guitar destroyed . That's where the Anvil comes in and will provide the much needed protection and in actual reality the small price to pay for a Anvil case is well worth the piece of mind that it provides and protects and that was really a no brainer . My friends were telling me that the tech was trying to hustle /sell me a case , well he does not provide that type of inventory . The lady from Anvil is very cool and so well informed as well and you know what I will be getting Anvil cases for the Marshall amps as well ! Anvil is the best !

zhivago

Indeed, I watched a bit of it last night...great playing by Dan. (as usual!) :hank

agogetr

That was my thinking as well and the protector is A okay for flying but if it is getting shipped by commercial transit as my tech explained it to me "what if it falls off the back of the truck and gets squished by the truck rolling over it ? " Guitar destroyed . That's where the Anvil comes in and will provide the much needed protection and in actual reality the small price to pay for a Anvil case is well worth the piece of mind that it provides and protects and that was really a no brainer . My friends were telling me that the tech was trying to hustle /sell me a case , well he does not provide that type of inventory . The lady from Anvil is very cool and so well informed as well and you know what I will be getting Anvil cases for the Marshall amps as well ! Anvil is the best !
makes sense. more mass around the guitar. i have some real old anvils just beat but still hangin in there! one is from the band 'america' has the name on it. ventura highway! i got it from a bass player that shared some gigs with them back in the day. its got a lot of miles on it, its really cool! id go with anvil too

zhivago

I was on holiday for a couple of weeks, so this thread slipped off the front page...let's fix that! :jim

The year was 1955...

1955_gibson_les_paul_custom-3266-max_zpsimxjycr9.jpg

1955_gibson_les_paul_custom-3247-max_zpsh2ksjetq.jpg

1955_gibson_les_paul_custom-3248-max_zpszu0ast3h.jpg

1955_gibson_les_paul_custom-3249-max_zpsofohcnog.jpg

1955_gibson_les_paul_custom-3255-max_zpsmdw4peph.jpg

1955_gibson_les_paul_custom-3253-max_zpsujrkb5cv.jpg

1955_gibson_les_paul_custom-3252-max_zpsdjgcmmnu.jpg

zhivago

Breaking news!

Looks like Metallica's Kirk Hammett is one of us now...

Looks like he scored, (or is at least holding), Mick Ralph's '56 Black Beauty.

kirk_zpstypsgus7.png

Here's what I dug up from an internet article:

In his last Instagram photo, Metallica lead guitarist Kirk Hammett mentioned Mick Ralphs’ Les Paul Custom. At the same time, Kirk explained that Mick’s tone had a big impact on him in his youth.

We think that this photo he shared under the name of ”#guitarsinhotelrooms” was taken by the Worldwired Tour in Berlin yesterday.

Here’s what Kirk absolutely wrote:

Mick Ralphs’ 56 Les Paul Custom , Mick’s tone was a big influence on me when I was a teenager … #mickralphs #lespaul #guitarheroes #guitarsinhotelrooms

Rex Carlson

God, those photos of Kirk Hammett with Mick Ralph's LP Custom make me gas for one so bad! I wish I could find one in that condition. I told my wife to prepare for the day I bring one home - its a matter of time. She says I deserve it, which I do...LOL.

zhivago

God, those photos of Kirk Hammett with Mick Ralph's LP Custom make me gas for one so bad! I wish I could find one in that condition. I told my wife to prepare for the day I bring one home - its a matter of time. She says I deserve it, which I do...LOL.

You should definitely try and get one...they are truly great guitars...my '56, after 6 years of owning, it is still my undisputed #1 :salude

AA00475Bassman

Beautiful how is the dealer dating ? Pot code's only date the pot I can not make out the serial number !

zhivago

Beautiful how is the dealer dating ? Pot code's only date the pot I can not make out the serial number !

My feeling is that they usually just use the pot dates for the early ones...that's why there are some many that are claimed to be '53s.

It's definitely pretty murky when it comes to the early non-serial guitars...from '55 onwards things are a lot clearer once the serial numbering appears.

:)

poor man's burst

Very early Les Paul Custom have shorter headstock than later ones, though I don't know when the change happened. Any info on that matter will be welcome.