• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I think I found Beano

QuirkyBurst

OH NO!
First the catalog burst, now Beano.
Whatever will we fixate on next?

Seriously, looks like a pretty strong argument based on grain fingerprint - WOW!

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
Except ... I don't see evidence of Grovers on 0 2183. You decide.
I may be just imagining this (because I'd REALLY like to believe as well), but does it look like Beano didn't have the face plate washers installed to anyone else? I know this is a long shot, but if so, that would explain the absence of the marks from them on the face of the headstock of 0 2183.
GroversonBeano_zpsafb74f88.jpg

VonPrikler

I think you could be right about the front of the headstock.

Now, what about the back of the headstock?

Like many others, I have owned guitars that originally had the factory Klusons changed to Grovers (so obviously know what that looks like), but what about changing back to the original Klusons - what holes/evidence would that leave, and if there would be visible holes, can they be repaired well?

EB5578hb.jpg

JJ Blair

I want to believe!

..But the inlays aren't matching up.

I don't see anything that rules it out. The B&W pics are so grainy, lack detail, and you see string shadows and not really any inlay detail.

beanoboard_zpse52e68b4.jpg

soulbrojcs

Les Paul Froum Member
Wouldn't any marks the Grovers would leave on the back be covered by the Klusons, if put back on?

JJ Blair

I think you could be right about the front of the headstock.

Now, what about the back of the headstock?

Like many others, I have owned guitars that originally had the factory Klusons changed to Grovers (so obviously know what that looks like), but what about changing back to the original Klusons - what holes/evidence would that leave, and if there would be visible holes, can they be repaired well?

The one screw on a Grover fits exactly into the lower Kluson hole.

Wouldn't any marks the Grovers would leave on the back be covered by the Klusons, if put back on?

They happen to fit neatly inside the Kluson marks. (The extra screw holes on this were from Schallers.)

main.php

Kris Ford

IF Grovers were used with different headstock bushings, then perhaps since there was no pressure pulling the Grover tight from being screwed down from the face, the imprint in the back could be lesser? As it was only being held by one screw...

VonPrikler

If this is indeed Beano, whatever repair work (however minor) that would have been associated with changing tuners back to Klusons would also be consistent with the fact that the pickup covers (or possibly the pickups themselves) would have obviously been changed since Clapton would have owned it.

In other words... if this is indeed Beano, based on pickup covers alone, we would not expect the guitar to be an untouched time capsule back to 1966.

So, possibly a minor change like the pickup covers could be consistent with another equally minor change like the tuners...

...if that makes sense!

JJ Blair

I want to believe!

..But the inlays aren't matching up.

Also, I'm having a really hard time finding another Burst where the 15th fret inlay is right up against the lower fret like it is here.

beanoboard_zpse52e68b4.jpg

CutieJones

Maybe. Grover radial lines at 2, 6 and 10 oclock def show up if the bushings were tightened on the front squeezing the marks into the back of the headstock.
No nut bushings on the front, no radial imprints on the back . . . Maybe !

T.Allen

You would think that there would be some better photos of Beano out there...somewhere. They had good cameras in the '60s. :dang

VonPrikler

Perhaps the manner in which he fastened the Grovers to the headstock back in 1966, and the degree to which he tightened them against the wood, would be considered unorthodox by today's standards, given that this would have been a total amateur installation?

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Statute of limitations, I believe.

The statute of limitations varies according to laws of the township, city, county, municipality, district, state, and/or country where the police report was filed. If a police report has been filed for grand theft, the statute of limitations is usually three to five years. However, in the case of stolen art the statute can be decades. If the criminal(s) are discovered selling the stolen property after the statute of limitations has passed, then the statute in most cases does not apply and the criminal(s) will be prosecuted.