• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Great Gretsch Sound

SFK

Les Paul Forum Member
2009 6136T LTV

398764122.jpg

10563055_10152191836661607_6687386748614457802_n.jpg

montesada

My 2006 6116ptv "Power Tenny" 100 made.
Great guitar, does almost everything. My Jr. does the rest.

Greasy G

Gretsch-6196-1959.JPG

My '59 Cadillac Green Club. It's one of the last '59s, so it already had the narrower body depth, but it still has the trestle bracing. In combination with the lower output filtertrons, I think it really offers the best combination of archtop fullness and solidbody sustain.

But my '59 Duo Jet does the job as well. The hollow body gives it a bit more acoustic fullness, but it also has the sting that is lacking from the Club.

Gretsch-6128-1959.JPG

And yes, there might be some binding issues lurking around the corner, with Gretsch you never know. But that sound, oh, that sound!

Last edited:

dragonfire

Man, those '59's are killer. That Cadillac Green one makes me weak in the knees!

dragonfire

Yeah, I know what you mean. Who else could pull off a Kermit guitar other than Gretsch?

There is something comforting about that shade of green that to me, it just seems to make everything right with the world.

I also have a pile of the Gretsch Cadillac "G" tailpieces that I always put on my Gretsch guitars instead of the Bigsby's because I think they add a huge touch of class to an amazingly designed guitar.

That's just a personal taste thing but I surely like it. They sell new for $289 but you can find them for $79 if you look around. They add that certain something to a Gretsch in my eye!!

The Cadillac Green and the ubiquitous Gretsch Orange are simply timeless to me. I also like their pale yellow that I think they call "bamboo".

Anyway, they have great shapes and cool colors. . . of course, I've had to deal with the all the IDIOSYNCRASIES of playing Gretsch's live over the years - the squealing feedback of the hollow-bodies, etc. but sometimes, simply being cool is worth the fight you have to put up with!!

Rock on my brothers, rock on like it is 1959!!

Daniel James

Man, those '59's are killer. That Cadillac Green one makes me weak in the knees!

Amen...I don't think another guitar manufacturer has pulled off green so well. If they made a Cadillac Green Penguin I'd be all over it like a dirty shirt.

I've got a growing stack of 60's Traynor amplifiers, and I picked up the same Bass Mate pair for $150 a few months back...great little amp that sounds terrific through a couple 12" speakers. There may be better sounding amps out there, but vintage Traynors used some great components and were built like tanks. For the price you pay I think that the YBA-1 is still one of the best bargains in the amp world.

Xpensive Wino

Peter Dennis Blandford Townshend....59 Bandmaster & a 6120, courtesy of J. Fidler Walsh.

Townshend_Pete_Walshrig.jpg

Three13

Gretsch-6196-1959.JPG

My '59 Cadillac Green Club. It's one of the last '59s, so it already had the narrower body depth, but it still has the trestle bracing. In combination with the lower output filtertrons, I think it really offers the best combination of archtop fullness and solidbody sustain.

But my '59 Duo Jet does the job as well. The hollow body gives it a bit more acoustic fullness, but it also has the sting that is lacking from the Club.

Gretsch-6128-1959.JPG

And yes, there might be some binding issues lurking around the corner, with Gretsch you never know. But that sound, oh, that sound!

I love that Country Club! I've got a '58 that's a blast to play - I think they're one of the great sleepers in the vintage market...

latestarter

That concert has many great Gretsch moments. Some very nice 7660 tones in the mix.

Chuck, thanks for your always kind words.

montesada

I've got a growing stack of 60's Traynor amplifiers, and I picked up the same Bass Mate pair for $150 a few months back...great little amp that sounds terrific through a couple 12" speakers. There may be better sounding amps out there, but vintage Traynors used some great components and were built like tanks. For the price you pay I think that the YBA-1 is still one of the best bargains in the amp world.

If you're near the Wet Coast, we should compare stacks...