• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How about a little vintage Fender love?

Xpensive Wino

Hi all,

My first post here. I`m mainly a Fender player, so thanks to the LPF for opening up the Fender section. I see lots of great guitars in this thread. Wow!

I want to share a couple pics of my '55 Strat. I bought her from the family of the owner who acquired her in 1960. I was blown away when I first saw the grain pattern. Sort of a tiger striped effect. It`s been nice being her caretaker. She`s a good one. :peace2

IMG_1957_zps2e88fcb4.jpg

IMG_1964_zps90247717.jpg

giphy.gif

Unbound Dot Neck

Wow !!!
nice first post , :salude

Hi all,

My first post here. I`m mainly a Fender player, so thanks to the LPF for opening up the Fender section. I see lots of great guitars in this thread. Wow!

I want to share a couple pics of my '55 Strat. I bought her from the family of the owner who acquired her in 1960. I was blown away when I first saw the grain pattern. Sort of a tiger striped effect. It`s been nice being her caretaker. She`s a good one. :peace2

IMG_1957_zps2e88fcb4.jpg

IMG_1964_zps90247717.jpg

DMartini

+1 with what Unbound Dot Neck said, what a first post :salude that's the guitar Fender should borrow to take the blueprint for the CS 55 RI relics for sure, stunner :peace2

Formvar

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Yes, she is a sweet one. Bakelite is in the best condition i`ve ever seen. Pickups are super strong. The thing with this one is that she plays extremely well! I have found many Maple Neck Strats hard to play because the frets are too low from use. Owners want to refret but are afraid to affect value. This one has so much fret to hang onto, even in the cowboy chord position. I`m grateful to experience such a wonderful instrument.

2be424da-d78f-490b-a1ce-b37c38eb6005_zpsda2e94d6.jpg

Last edited:

flameburst

I'm head overheels with your '54 Three33. That is one very special looking guitar. Is yours that same 'Cimmarron Red' that Leo used for Pee Wee Crayton and Bill Carson?

My favorite Fender:

IMG_1271_zps03c2de5b.jpg

IMG_1272_zps47cb41f0.jpg

IMG_1275_zps7a4c7483.jpg

IMG_1276_zpsb37e002a.jpg

IMG_1277_zps69fd32ba.jpg

IMG_1278_zps488f59e0.jpg

IMG_1279_zps4c9dcc59.jpg

IMG_1280_zpsc403330d.jpg

IMG_1282_zps723dfd1d.jpg

Last edited:

bramley

'67 Custom . Transitional with maple fingerboard & no skunk stripe. No, I didn't sand the finish off , previous owner ( 70s guitar God who should've known better) did. I've had it since '72.
Picture1-5.png

telfrets.jpg

telecrop.jpg

Last edited:

Three13

I'm head overheels with your '54 Three33. That is one very special looking guitar. Is yours that same 'Cimmarron Red' that Leo used for Pee Wee Crayton and Bill Carson?

I'm 95% certain that the only Cimmaron Red guitar that I have seen (at least in color) is Leon McAuliffe's Fender Quad (which is a 1955, according to its owner):

cimmaronside_zpsfm9obk5w.jpg

cimmaronedge_zpsfe2nmyzk.jpg

cimmarontop_zpsmkjgehnd.jpg

The story I've heard is that there was some paint left after McAuliffe's steel was finished and Carson used it for his personal guitar, which may be the one used in Fender promo pictures (or maybe not - that guitar looks like a '56, based on the string tree, but the neck may have been swapped out). The Pee Wee Crayton guitar is a much brighter red than McAuliffe's - possibly Cadillac's Aztec Red or GMC Pimpernel Scarlet.

My guitar was painted gold, layered with clear nitro that was tinted with red printer's ink - sort of a proto Candy Apple Red. The paint was laid on gold/red/gold/red. The layers are pretty apparent if you look closely at the pictures. Interestingly, the bronzing powder in the gold paint oxidized (just like you see on a gold top or Eldon Shamblin's gold Strat) in spots where a lot of sweat got on the guitar; however, the oxidation reads black through the red top coat - there's a small area where it got scraped off and you can see the green underneath.

There's a green early '55 in the Galaxy of Strats that was painted this way, and Cal Green's '54 Strat (color unknown at this point) also appears to have a metallic sheen:

midnghters9_zps093303ce.jpg

10792799-large_zpsazxy3d6q.jpg

And of course there's the coolest 1954 ever - Eldon Shamblin's Strat:

eldon4_zpsnudxslal.jpg

eldon16_zpswsf5o3qa.jpg

roadrunner

Great post Three-13! "Cimarron Red"... that just sounds like the '50's doesn't it?! :dude: The Leon steel, man... what an iconic instrument! I have all the Tiffany's Transcriptions, of the Wills band from '46 and '47, and I love Leon's playing so much... although I think his tenure, with Bob's band, was later than the '40's? Not totally sure.

Those '50's custom color Fenders were true custom colors... any color, that could be picked up at the auto body shop, was available and it seems like they improvised just about every other application of the paint. Definitely no rhyme or reason to the way they did custom colors in the '50's. It's alway a pretty mind blowing thing to see an original one from that era.

Thanks again!

Joseph Palmer

She came to me as a basket case - disassembled and stripped of the original Pelham blue and the aftermarket Krylon purple.
I cleaned it up and gave it a clear coat. That was in the mid 70s, and it's been with me ever since.
I've lately had to replace the pick-guard because the original shrank so much that nothing fit anymore. (Yes, I kept the original) Also got a new vibrato arm to take with when I gig - I don't want to lose the original.

JP_Strat.jpg

DSCN0559.jpg

63FRED

My 62 Fiesta Red Strat, 61 Olympic White Jazzmaster, 64 Strat and my latest purchase a 1962 Jazz Bass in Fiesta Red.

a33684fd-96ad-4e0d-a216-2a3aa1e38176_zps3vdrgadj.jpg

chuckNC

Woah, nice group there! :salude

I used to own a Fiesta Red '61 Jazzmaster that would have looked great hangin with that bunch. Tort guard, though, but that same lovely pinkish shade of faded.

stevechilders

What a bunch of great shots! Thanks to all that posted.

Charlie,

That shoreline gold strat is just incredible... I can only imagine how she sounds.

blewsbreaker

Hi all,

IMG_1957_zps2e88fcb4.jpg

IMG_1964_zps90247717.jpg

That is one gorgeous strat!
:dude: