• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

5.8 pounds...too light for a '67 Reissue Flying V?

Tommy Tourbus

This is the weight of one I'm looking at. I like my guitars in a nice medium weight range for it's particular design. Wondering if this is too light to be optimum for a V

getchar()

Mine is 7 lbs and feels pretty light. The one you are looking at might blow away in a breeze. I suppose the main question is, what does it sound like?

Tommy Tourbus

. I suppose the main question is, what does it sound like?

I don't know, it's online. I'm trying to gauge how being that light might affect it's tone. If I could try it out and liked how it sounded, I wouldn't care what it's weight was

SFK

Les Paul Forum Member
My '02 Flying V Custom is about that light and sounds fantastic.

dtw576

While on the light end of the scale for a V, I wouldn't let that scare me away. V's tend to be lightweights anyway, with 6.5 lb to 7.5 lb being typical from my experience. Even my Hamer Korina Vector, which is thicker and slightly blockier in profile since it is a copy of the '58 V, is in the mid 8's IIRC. I've played some very lightweight V's that sounded great and balanced very comfortably. Is there a return policy? A PITA I know but at least you can get out of it if you really don't like it. If you've never had a V before, don't expect the punch of a LP, more of an airy, soft sound with great mids. I love mine through early 70's NMV Marshalls. Excellent rock guitars IMHO.

majic

While on the light end of the scale for a V, I wouldn't let that scare me away. V's tend to be lightweights anyway, with 6.5 lb to 7.5 lb being typical from my experience. Even my Hamer Korina Vector, which is thicker and slightly blockier in profile since it is a copy of the '58 V, is in the mid 8's IIRC. I've played some very lightweight V's that sounded great and balanced very comfortably. Is there a return policy? A PITA I know but at least you can get out of it if you really don't like it. If you've never had a V before, don't expect the punch of a LP, more of an airy, soft sound with great mids. I love mine through early 70's NMV Marshalls. Excellent rock guitars IMHO.

My 1997 HAMER KORINA #52 VECTOR just got off a digital scale at 6.69 lbs today. Beautiful tight grained example of Korina wood. A fantastic player too. Use a clone Marshall 1987 50watt and 4x12 cab with 1974 blackback 55hrz. celestion speakers . Wonderfull.

Scott L

The accuracy of the user's scale always is a concern. If off by 3%, the V will be just shy of 6 lbs.

While not common, they do come in under 6lbs - Wildwood has one now at 5.96lbs in stock that sports a Maestro : https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/060007/1967-flying-v-reissue-24/?cat_id=246

060007_lg1.jpg