• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

0-0234 auction of new burst to market

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
"The guitar, bought in 1960, is being auctioned and is expected to fetch $20,000 to $30,000. (Courtesy Quinn’s Auction Galleries)"

:bigal

Three13

Typical auction house ploy to get more players in on the ground floor and to make sure the sale exceeds its estimate.

Y

yeti

I don't think the approach with that auction was intentional on Guernsey's part - they got played...

I'm not sure I understand, ah, well, I'm pretty sure I DON"T understand since I didn't follow that situation very closely.
Please explain.

Three13

I'm not sure I understand, ah, well, I'm pretty sure I DON"T understand since I didn't follow that situation very closely.
Please explain.

The consignor of the guitars in that sale did an excellent job of manipulating the auction house.

In the end, it hurt the sale and the auction house - I know plenty of people who didn't bother to figure bids on anything in the sale. I'm not sure the consignor cared, since everything wound up being seized by the IRS, IIRC.

Y

yeti

The consignor of the guitars in that sale did an excellent job of manipulating the auction house.

In the end, it hurt the sale and the auction house - I know plenty of people who didn't bother to figure bids on anything in the sale. I'm not sure the consignor cared, since everything wound up being seized by the IRS, IIRC.

Thanks
I did read something along those lines. Martin guitar company bought a few pieces for their museum at prices below their expectations. Good for them.