• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gordon Kennedy's 1959 Les Paul

Xpensive Wino

Don't know if you can pull this link up (below) but give it a try. It's off the Gibson site. It's an interview from Gordon Kenney (Nashville guitarist and song writer) who talks about his 1959 Les Paul. Pretty cool story he tells.

Thanks for posting this, Rick. :salude

Good stuff starts around 5 minute mark.

Rick Doeschler

You're welcome Wino. I hadn't heard of Gordon Kennedy before. Apparently he's been around. Very nice Burst for sure.

58burst

That guitar is the first burst I was aware of seeing, in John Sebastian's apartment in the village in the summer of '66 (or was it '67? My memory's gettin' a little fuzzy for dates). Sebastian's cousin John Lewis was the harp player in the band I was the drummer for at the time, and we drove down from Montreal and auditioned at the Night Owl Cafe. John Lewis hooked up with Sebastian who was in town at the moment, and he met us at the Night Owl and we walked a few blocks to his apartment in the west village and hung out for a short time. Shortly after we arrived at his apartment Sebastian said excitedly that he wanted to show us the guitar he had recently scored, and pulled the brown case out and opened it. I didn't appreciate what I was looking at, but it was this guitar.

A bit of trivia from the memory banks...

Russ

PG002-1.jpg

PG003.jpg

I had the $$ at the time, and so wanted to buy this guitar. I keep the ad around to remind me!

mistersnappy

PG002-1.jpg

PG003.jpg

I had the $$ at the time, and so wanted to buy this guitar. I keep the ad around to remind me!

That ad is pretty freaky: Clapton says he bought Beano because of Freddie King. I'm going with Eric's version. Who's first meeting at a Lovin' Spoonful concert? Eric and Sebastian? Eric, George and Sebastian? Wierd. The pic on the right is backwards, as well.

JJ Blair

But Eric does say that they nicked "Summer In the City" for "White Room," so he was an influence.

Xpensive Wino

Unless I'm mistaken, in the interview GK seems to indicate that he got the guitar from Garys in Ohio, yet there is a Gruhn ad listing it for sale...what am I missing? :ganz

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
I think EC said "Tales Of Brave Ulyssees" was the song inspired by "Summer In The City". But it is the same chord pattern that Jack Bruce later used for White Room. Furthermore, Wiki says that the melody was taken from Judy Collins version of Leonard Cohens "Suzanne". I can hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyVavcfAzN8

JJ Blair

lpnv, you might be correct. They are essentially the same progression. I just know that "Summer in the City" was an influence on one of those. I'm not sure of the chronology.

fakejake

Here's a wonderful interview with Gordon Kennedy from Truetone Lounge that just came out, featuring his burst, his fathers '61 335 and a few other great guitars. Highly recommended interview, brilliant stories in there!
:salude

DANELECTRO

Thanks for posting that interview. I could listen to Gordon tell stories all day long. :)