The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 106
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member Kevin L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    573

    Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Ok, I have to admit to doing Facebook...... though not much, if that spares my reputation.
    I "Like" Bursthunter. Today there was a post saying that Kirk Hammett has purchased Greeny.
    Anyone?

  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member bobbradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Derby city
    Posts
    671

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1981.668703352

    According to kirks guitar tech in this FB POST !
    Could be an elaborate hoax ...... Or not
    I guess it's a good thing if it's true.
    Kirk may not be the perfect owner but I know he will respect the guitar and the history that is truly very heavy \m/

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member Stoj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,485

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Here's all the info on the other forum: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vint...et-greeny.html

    Glad to see Kirk pony up & save this poor girl, also even better that she'll be played & not locked away never to be seen or heard again

    Guitars:
    2005 Gibson Custom Shop Jimmy Page Number 1
    2015 Gibson True Historic 1960 Les Paul Reissue
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop Rich Robinson '63 ES 335
    2006 Fender Custom Shop 1951 Nocaster Reissue
    2013 Fender Custom Shop 1964 Stratocaster Reissue
    2015 Gretsch Masterbuilt Stephen Stern '57 Duo Jet
    2015 Gibson J 35 Acoustic
    2017 Fender 1961 Jazz Bass Reissue

    Amp:
    Magnatone Twilighter

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    41,616

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoj View Post
    .... also even better that she'll be played & not locked away never to be seen or heard again
    That scenario would be highly unlikely, no matter who bought it.


    I don't understand why anyone would think this would happen.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member Doc Sausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern Nowhere
    Posts
    1,435

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by TW59 View Post
    That scenario would be highly unlikely, no matter who bought it.


    I don't understand why anyone would think this would happen.
    Why is that so much of an improbability? Simply not wanting it stolen could be motivation enough to leave it locked up.
    "I don't want to be part of any club that would accept me as a member" - Groucho Marx

  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by TW59 View Post
    That scenario would be highly unlikely, no matter who bought it.


    I don't understand why anyone would think this would happen.
    Aren't there like 200 plus bursts in ZD's vault that are rarely if ever seen?

  7. #7
    Formerly Tweedguy buckaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    924

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Okay I am the ignorant one so I will ask: who is ZD?

  8. #8
    yeti
    Guest

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    Aren't there like 200 plus bursts in ZD's vault that are rarely if ever seen?
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Okay I am the ignorant one so I will ask: who is ZD?
    I thought Zooey was a Tele-uke girl



  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member Lenny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    967

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    If it's true I hope he'll play Whiplash with it on stage.

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,723

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Okay I am the ignorant one so I will ask: who is ZD?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Edward_Ziff

    Maybe?
    Otherwise known as Grant.

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Member JBLPplayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    A sunny place for shady people
    Posts
    1,121

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    I've apparently owned it now thrice LOL....

    I hope it does find a loving home after almost a decade in limbo..
    Its a great guitar...

    Joe B

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by latestarter View Post
    My right hand types faster than my left sometimes. Yes I meant DZ.

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member JJ Blair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,353

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Kirk dropped a couple hundred grand on my buddy's '55 sparkle red Strat, custom made for Bob Wills' guitar player. Doesn't seem to shy away from big ticket guitars.


  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by JBLPplayer View Post
    I've apparently owned it now thrice LOL....

    I hope it does find a loving home after almost a decade in limbo..
    Its a great guitar...

    Joe B
    Maybe Kirk can chase the demons out of the guitar. Wonder how Enter Sandman sounds on Greeny.

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Blair View Post
    Kirk dropped a couple hundred grand on my buddy's '55 sparkle red Strat, custom made for Bob Wills' guitar player. Doesn't seem to shy away from big ticket guitars.
    In thier documentary, they gave the new bass player 1 million before he had played a single gig (respectable move btw). They aren't burning through the money and have invested. I think they can afford it at this point.

  16. #16
    yeti
    Guest

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    In thier documentary....
    "Some kind of monster" is a great flick, the shrink is my favorite character.

  17. #17
    Les Paul Forum Member slimdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    884

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Some kind of monster is a great rock documentary, maybe one of the best. But after watching it, it's not easy to take this guys seriously.

    Favorite character: Mr Ulrich senior

  18. #18

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Am i the only one irritated that it went to someone like Kirk? Im not Joe's biggest fan, but id rather him own it than Kirk Hammett

  19. #19
    Les Paul Forum Member JJ Blair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,353

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Does this mean we're finally going to get to hear a Metallica blues album?

  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Member Stoj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,485

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    Aren't there like 200 plus bursts in ZD's vault that are rarely if ever seen?
    +100 Totally agree

    Guitars:
    2005 Gibson Custom Shop Jimmy Page Number 1
    2015 Gibson True Historic 1960 Les Paul Reissue
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop Rich Robinson '63 ES 335
    2006 Fender Custom Shop 1951 Nocaster Reissue
    2013 Fender Custom Shop 1964 Stratocaster Reissue
    2015 Gretsch Masterbuilt Stephen Stern '57 Duo Jet
    2015 Gibson J 35 Acoustic
    2017 Fender 1961 Jazz Bass Reissue

    Amp:
    Magnatone Twilighter

  21. #21
    Les Paul Forum Member JJ Blair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,353

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    JRW, I could really give a flip who owns it. Kirk ain't my fav a player, but the only requirement for ownership is the willingness to pay the asking price. I'd rather it be played than wind up in a display case. But even if it did wind up in a case, it doesn't affect my life.
    Last edited by JJ Blair; 07-15-14 at 10:16 AM.

  22. #22

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by JRW8214@AOL.COM View Post
    Am i the only one irritated that it went to someone like Kirk? Im not Joe's biggest fan, but id rather him own it than Kirk Hammett
    Sounds like you have some issues to me? Getting irritated over a guitar purchase? Really?

  23. #23
    Les Paul Forum Member JBLPplayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    A sunny place for shady people
    Posts
    1,121

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by JRW8214@AOL.COM View Post
    Am i the only one irritated that it went to someone like Kirk? Im not Joe's biggest fan, but id rather him own it than Kirk Hammett
    No worries either way... I didnt want it... I think Kirk would be a great guy to have it.. Who says in its next life it has to play blues rock anyway.. I've already got my head around Principal Skinner playing in a futuristic techno band with a front woman that sings like Sade and is blue in complexion.. Oh wait that was the band from the movie "The 5th Element." .

    Good on anyone who buys it and freaking does something positive with it.. I'm glad our own Richard H has/had it now.. Its in good hands.

    Joe B

  24. #24
    Les Paul Forum Member hoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    6,680

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Blair View Post
    Does this mean we're finally going to get to hear a Metallica blues album?
    Why not? I liked the Load album in the 1990s and now the guys are over 50, who knows?

  25. #25

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Well im not pulling my hair out irritated, but jesus you'd think a guitar of that legend and caliber deserves someone better than the guy from metallica. That'd be like giving the Bloomfield burst or Page's #1 to Billie Joe Armstrong.

  26. #26

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by JBLPplayer View Post
    No worries either way... I didnt want it...
    It's a good job you didn't want it cause Kirk had already agreed to buy it on the morning of the day we saw you. Although I did get the impression you were more interested in the old guitar that was in the boot of the Ferrari? I have to admit, the look on Mike's face when I pulled Greeny out of the trunk of the car was priceless. He's the only guy I know who can make a burst sound like a jet airplane without an amplifier.

    I was sorry we didn't get more time at the unofficial UK/AU/USA LPF Burst hangout.

    Hope all is well with you.


  27. #27
    Les Paul Forum Member hoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    6,680

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by JRW8214@AOL.COM View Post
    Well im not pulling my hair out irritated, but jesus you'd think a guitar of that legend and caliber deserves someone better than the guy from metallica. That'd be like giving the Bloomfield burst or Page's #1 to Billie Joe Armstrong.
    Stop it, please

  28. #28
    Les Paul Forum Member Martin_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    West Sussex, UK
    Posts
    429

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Fair play to Kirk!

    For most fans it should be irrelevant who owns it, more important who loans it.

    (As the owner of Joey Bs Tour de Force live at RAH will testify) killer greeny tones all over that album !

  29. #29

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Kirk hasn't 'loaned' it.

  30. #30
    Banker
    Guest

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    ...and I'm not Australian.

  31. #31
    Les Paul Forum Member hoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    6,680

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Banker View Post
    ...and I'm not Australian.
    nor Austrian

  32. #32
    Les Paul Forum Member Martin_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    West Sussex, UK
    Posts
    429

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by landminelenny View Post
    Kirk hasn't 'loaned' it.
    Apologies Rich that's not what I meant, just a side comment

    Love the car park shot btw! Great taste in cars !

  33. #33
    Banker
    Guest

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    My impression is that Kirk is a super nice guy with a very personable manner, not what I expected to be honest. If you wanted the guitar to got to a cool, mellow guy who'll cherish and play it.....well, then it's home.

  34. #34
    Banker
    Guest

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by hoss View Post
    nor Austrian
    Sadly not one of the five passports.....

  35. #35

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Banker View Post
    My impression is that Kirk is a super nice guy with a very personable manner, not what I expected to be honest. If you wanted the guitar to got to a cool, mellow guy who'll cherish and play it.....well, then it's home.
    Yeah thats true. I dont like his music or his playing, but he does seem like a hell of a nice guy. Not to mention he is obviously a fan of Green otherwise he wouldnt have bought it.

  36. #36
    Les Paul Forum Member hoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    6,680

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by landminelenny View Post
    Rich, is that you with the Junior? And who is the guy with the cool Ski Iraq shirt?

  37. #37
    Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blighty.
    Posts
    5,679

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by landminelenny View Post
    It's a good job you didn't want it cause Kirk had already agreed to buy it on the morning of the day we saw you. Although I did get the impression you were more interested in the old guitar that was in the boot of the Ferrari? I have to admit, the look on Mike's face when I pulled Greeny out of the trunk of the car was priceless. He's the only guy I know who can make a burst sound like a jet airplane without an amplifier.

    I was sorry we didn't get more time at the unofficial UK/AU/USA LPF Burst hangout.

    Hope all is well with you.

    Super cool shot ... there's a lot of smiling going on ... doesn't appear to be a whiff of the infered bad karma surrounding Greeny, anywhere...

    Said it before and I'll say it again...Congratulations at every level to all concerned. I think history will show just how important the recent moves have been for the future of this wonderful guitar.


  38. #38

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    Maybe Kirk can chase the demons out of the guitar. Wonder how Enter Sandman sounds on Greeny.
    Without reading past jimmis post..
    Enter Sandman will much better on greeny!
    I still rather hear Joe play it than Kirk, but man...he's got to be the kid that got given the burpday present! !!
    Hey...who else would play Message in a Bottle on it?

  39. #39
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    MyLesPaulForum
    Posts
    3,186

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by JRW8214@AOL.COM View Post
    Yeah thats true. I dont like his music or his playing, but he does seem like a hell of a nice guy. Not to mention he is obviously a fan of Green otherwise he wouldnt have bought it.
    It would seem Kirk's (and James) "appreciation" of Greenie would be via Gary Moore...
    Enjoy that with my compliments. 🤠👍

  40. #40
    Banker
    Guest

    Re: Greeny-Fact or Rumor?

    Quote Originally Posted by landminelenny View Post
    IAlthough I did get the impression you were more interested in the old guitar that was in the boot of the Ferrari?
    She's a keeper......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!






i