• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pyramid "Monel Classics" Are Here!

TM1

Obviously me.., But I find they work better on my solid bodies than on my ES guitars, except on my 3 Gretsch guitars(`62 & `64 Country Club & 2008 White Falcon-LTV) as those like the Monel's! I do like them on my `63 J-50!

slimdave

Just got a set of Monels and another one of Max performance. Will let you know how they work with a Tele :salude

* actually I just ordered them, will be here in a few days.

TM1

Excellent! After you put the Monel's on, give them a day to settle in, same with the Nickel Classics. Once they've settled they should stay the same for weeks. I normally get about a month's use out of a set which is way better than the 6-7 hours use from Dr's or D'Addario's, etc..

Fish Fingers

I am using the 10 46 greens on everything and am more than happy.
It's also great to hear that they take a while to settle in as I thought I was going bonkers.
All of my guitars have locking tuners on, as I'm a bit crap in the eyesight area. Should I be
aware of any tweaks when I'm stringing up with either the greens or the new Monels? currently I just pull them through till they are
just about tight then lock and wind. I use mainly Hipshot lockers as they are the dog's danglies.
Look forward to giving them a go.
More money for Charlie Chandler to prize out of my wallet. Curses.

J T

I'm using them.
R9, CC, R7, Strat, Tele.

they are great strings.

get em from Toneman. He's cool.

garywright

There is a solution for tuning posts that have the "pilot hole" as with Strats and Teles. Measure out where you want to cut and then use a pair of needle-nose pliers and crimp the windings just behind that point. That should "set" the windings and you'll be able to cut just in front of that and string up as normal. Don, if I'm wrong about this please chime in.

I'm trying to visualize why this would be necessary ..I've never done anything on my strats or teles other than get the string length I need ..snip the string ..insert string and wind ..never had any "dead" string issues either ..have I just been lucky using round wound GHS 11-50 boomers ?

J T

I found out about that going dead thing after putting them on my Tele with the vintage tuner hole in the top of the tuner. I like using that hole. No sharp ends to worry about. I went about getting the length of the low E as I usually do with other strings, Snipped the end, shoved it down into the top hole in the tuner peg and wound it up as usual.

The difference was when I tuned up the string. tump! tump! dead. Wha the?

I then found out that the winding is bound to the string at the END which I snipped off without bending or kinking before snipping. So the wound E in this case as dead as a door nail before I ever tightened it up.

Buggers! So I used another E but this time I measured the length, KINKED it all the way 180 at that point , then snipped it. The string was fine.

Doh!I learned about that and now do it all the wound strings before I shove them in the top of the tuner.

J T

That never happened to me with the Gibson tuners as I always go through the tuner post first, measure the length, Start winding, THEN snip AFTER I wind them. They never lose the end connection like that in those tuners. That's the difference.

J T

umm sorry if I did not make sense. nevermind

Cream Fan

I'm trying to visualize why this would be necessary ..I've never done anything on my strats or teles other than get the string length I need ..snip the string ..insert string and wind ..never had any "dead" string issues either ..have I just been lucky using round wound GHS 11-50 boomers ?

Round wound is not the same as round core. Those Boomers have a hex core, which locks the winding in place. With round core strings, if you cut the strings before bending them they will be dead.

garywright

Round wound is not the same as round core. Those Boomers have a hex core, which locks the winding in place. With round core strings, if you cut the strings before bending them they will be dead.

ok ..got ya now :salude

JT ...sorry for the confusion ...no apology necessary as i was thinking round wound and not round core :##

zombiwoof

Hate to confuse matters, but read this description from the GHS site:

http://store.ghsstrings.com/ghs-electric-boomers/

According to GHS, Boomers ARE round core!. I just discovered this recently.

Al

J T

ok ..got ya now :salude

JT ...sorry for the confusion ...no apology necessary as i was thinking round wound and not round core :##

OK no problem!

Just passing on my revelation in hopes that you guys wont make the same dumb mistakes I usually do.:)

slimdave

Update. Installed them about a week ago or so and I really like them. They sound just great. And yes, before settling they sounded a little weird. :salude

hogy

I just bought a few sets of these Monel strings and installed them on a Strat, a Tele and a humbucker Les Paul.

Acoustically, they sound great.

Plugged in, the problem is that there is MUCH less output from the wound strings. So much less, you can't dial it in with pickup adjustments. The volume drop from the G to the D string in particular is just bad.

Another issue, my fault entirely, to pay attention to: Do not cut these strings without putting a sharp bend in them first. I usually don't pre-bend my strings when I install them on Strats or Teles, because I stick the end down the tuner hole. Big mistake with these strings. The instant I cut the low E, I could hear the windings spring loose like a released spring. They sprung back so much that the wound part shortened by almost an inch, leaving that much core now exposed. String went dead and rattly immediately and I had to throw it away.

I do love Pyramid strings and have used them off and on for decades. I was exited about these Monels and really wanted to like them. But I don't.

Last edited: